Looking for an I/R pitching instructor in Minneapolis Metro area.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JohnnyO

Began this habit in 1980
May 13, 2015
Midwest
I know there are lots of pitching coaches in metro, but I also know a lot of them are teaching wrist flips and pushing the ball through and other NON-Elite motions. Some carry very high credentials as they pitched here and there but when it comes down to it, they were not part of the Elite Pitcher group we are trying to emulate. So we have Rick Pauly coming to Minnesota and teach our kids once a year. Now we need to get some more pitching coaches that teach the way the Elite Pitchers do it. This is a long process but we need to train them into the new century.

So after all that, does anyone know any good I/R coaches in Minneapolis/St Paul metro area. I'm 2+ hours south of there and would like to find someone closer for our metro kids.

Nov 18, 2013
You’ll be hard pressed to find a pitching coach around here that uses the term I/R. They all seem to be big on wrist flips and the HE follow through. There are some that teach it more closely to I/R. Sorry I’m not familiar with the specific terms better or how to say it. Mike Mook teaches many of the mechanics discussed here and IMO is the best instructor in the region. I think he still gives lessons in the Twin Cities.

Jan 22, 2011
Rumor is that Rich Pauly will be about 2 hours from MSP the weekend of Jan 11th/12th. The demand for good pitching coaches is so big in my area, I have bought plane tickets to come do the clinic as a student, even though it hasn't been announced.

I also heard this great website called www.fastpitchfoundations.com should be online soon! Like by summer 2017!

Jan 13, 2020
JohnnyO, Did you ever find someone in the metro area? I’m kind of in the same boat as you were in. I live about 20 miles north of the twin cities. My daughter is 10 and started pitching but it’s all Hello Elbow style. I found out about IR pitching style and it looks like that is the style to go. There is a Tincher coach up in St.Cloud area but her schedule is pretty booked. Just curious if you ran across anything that teaches it. Thanks

Aug 21, 2008
diesel, much to my dismay, Pauly is not giving me commission on this post (although he should!!) but I think this clinic in MN is a good idea for you. At the very least, you'll probably find some other coaches there who do not do the HE crap. Best case scenario is you'll find a coach there who doesn't teach HE and is also there to learn better ways of being a pitching coach but is low key, doesn't advertise his/her lessons or promote themselves. I'd be interested to know how many HE coaches attend, how many change their beliefs afterward and collect new students based on this. I know my own clinics, I've had HE coaches attend and sometimes even "challenge" me on what I was doing and why. I always loved that!!!!!

Rick, JohnnyO, and other clinic organizers... where do I send my bill for this endorsement/advertisement? ha ha

Bill

Jan 13, 2020
Hillhouse, thanks for the info. I was checking on Rick's site about his certificate program. It was very interesting and was going to look more into it. I am just wondering how quick it is to learn myself and teach her vs. having a coach. I can help her on alot of things put pitching isn't a strong point of mine although I am very eager to learn. I sit on the bucket alot and she is just really a newbie.

Kind of a stupid question, but after doing some research is the likes of Tincher, Forearm Fire, Pauly's and yourself just basically IR style of pitching? Are there major differences? Another question from watching IR pitching styles it seems like it would be much easier to learn and easier to adjust and troubleshoot? Am I wrong? If that is the case then why do not many coaches teach it then? Again, these are probably silly questions to experts like yourself but if my 10u dd wants to pitch I might as well teach her the best way going forward. Thanks again for the info and resources. I appreciate it.

Aug 12, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Whether IR is easier or not depends on where the kid starts from. There are kids who are already naturally doing it and kids who are not. If they are not, it's harder for sure.

Tincher: doesn't explain in detail what happens from 9:00 on (or keeps it a secret) and just says that's the elbow slot and how we throw. He does seem to teach palm up at 9 but doesn't seem to advocate brush: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=594560331084039
Forearm Fire: I thought they taught IR but not brush but after seeing this video I'm not so sure what they are thinking because I think most of us wouldn't agree with this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EXgcPz8EXw&feature=youtu.be&t=131&fbclid=IwAR3b2v3TeCHzbpuICCvzouulZiwwTjLrsNSv-LwcQphp47mYrOt6gRFyyxk
Pauly: Teaches IR with a lot of emphasis/explanation on brush. https://www.youtube.com/user/PaulyGirl1/search?query=internal+rotation

Here are samples of students of mine First 2 kids did not naturally have IR, last kid did. The first 2 kids took months to just get a couple of the drills to look like this. EsportsT

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802