Looking for a composite bat for my 7 Year old DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2019
Looks like it's gone now. That's a 2016 model, definitely one of LS's best year for both the LXT and the Xeno, hot as a match!! I'm sure Core can answer this better than me.......I've always wondered if the manufacturers put the same identical technology into their small bats (27", 28", 29") as they do their larger bats?? In other words, can those small bats actually get "hot"?
Not sure how true this was, but listening to Crystl Bustos talk about her bat design experience with DiMarini a few years ago, mentioned that the bat designs were optimized for 33"/34" sizes, and then pretty much just shrunk down from there with little/no concern on the impact to performance of the smaller sizes. Charge the same price fir the slightly-less-than optimized bats, and we softball parents nicely fund the research into the next generation of bats.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Not sure how true this was, but listening to Crystl Bustos talk about her bat design experience with DiMarini a few years ago, mentioned that the bat designs were optimized for 33"/34" sizes, and then pretty much just shrunk down from there with little/no concern on the impact to performance of the smaller sizes.
Thanks Lemond, that's actually the point I was trying so hard to make? :rolleyes: Of course I don't know this for a fact, but I would think the emphasis on performance would be geared towards the 33"/34" bats, maybe include the 32"? Of course this is me 100% speculating!

Apr 20, 2015
Any thoughts on this bat? My 8 y/o will be playing up in 10U, which means no more RIF balls. Curious if this is worth the get, or just stick with her 29/17 Axe alloy?
This bat is a great deal and will outhit an alloy but not sure it really matters in 10u

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jun 26, 2014
Seguin, TX
Won't matter because 10U players aren't strong enough, won't put the ball in play enough? Just trying to understand - thanks.

I believe it does matter. Just don't get her too much bat. Both of mine used the Demarini Cfs in -11. They used to be called a "sprite." I would try to find a used one because kids outgrow them too fast. Also, don't get her a bat she can grow into, get her the one that fits now. If you buy a Demarini CF used, you can most likely get your money back after she outgrows it.

Jun 8, 2016
Won't matter because 10U players aren't strong enough, won't put the ball in play enough? Just trying to understand - thanks.
As somebody mentioned previously, it is likely that composite bat designs are optimized (in particular the trampoline effect) for older girls (swing speed, bat size) so I am not sure there is going to be huge difference between a $400 composite bat and a $150 composite bat for most young kids.

Jan 7, 2020
Thank you all for your help, i will definitely not spend 400 on a bat. We have like 4 girls on our team who have Prism bats and my daughter doesn't like them. one girl has the 2020 Ghost which my daughter used and hit pretty good but im not going to spend that much on a bat for someone who will keep growing, we also have another girl on the team that has the brand new 2020 Ghost Advance and has been using it for about 2 weeks now, now that is a awesome bats lol. We have a Easton rep coming to our practice next week so ima see what he has and let my daughter swing a couple of bats and see if we can find something at a decent price that she will like. Again thank you for all of your inputs.

Apr 20, 2015
Because unless your kid is super strong they likely won't have the bat speed to get full performance out of a composite and I don't think you will see the difference an older stronger kid would see between those 2 bats. An entry level composite like those mentioned here or a higher level used bat is a perfect fit for a young player.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
If you are using a real ball, you will def see a diff between an entry level bat and their top line even at younger ages WHEN HIT...haha.
BUT, does it really matter at 7 years old? Its not like she is gonna be hitting bombs with a top bat and rollers with a starter bat.

I personally would be shopping cheap...as she is gonna grow like a bean and will be out of that bat in no time. I would wait til
the girl can really show the advantages of a top bat first. Let her get her skills set a little more first then rip up a high end bat :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802