Looking for a composite bat for my 7 Year old DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2015
I would definitely not pay $400 for a bat for a 7 year old. Heck - I don't pay $400 for a bat for my 16 yr old DD.

DD's first composite bat (when she was 10) was a Louisville LXT. It was the previous years bat but still new in the wrapper. We paid right around $130. She swung an LXT for a while...but has since moved to the Xeno (slightly endloaded when compared to the balanced LXT). She plays for an organization that is sponsored by Demarini and Louisville - so no Ghosts for her - except in HS - but she still prefers her Louisville. She just likes the sound Louisville bats make (which is a like it or hate it sound!).

Apr 28, 2019
So we are on a Travel ball team now, the whole team was basically told that we need to get a Composite bat for our child. Which i have no problem with. We were going to buy her one anyways. My question being is which bat to buy. I have seen the Easton Ghost 2020 which i think has some pop to it, the DeMarini Prism not much of a fan not the pop i expected for a $400 bat, and i have been looking at the Louisville bats as well. I dont have much experience with softball bats so just trying to see what everyone else has and like and why?
So we are on a Travel ball team now, the whole team was basically told that we need to get a Composite bat for our child. Which i have no problem with. We were going to buy her one anyways. My question being is which bat to buy. I have seen the Easton Ghost 2020 which i think has some pop to it, the DeMarini Prism not much of a fan not the pop i expected for a $400 bat, and i have been looking at the Louisville bats as well. I dont have much experience with softball bats so just trying to see what everyone else has and like and why?
At age 7 I wouldn’t go crazy. Rawlings Velo 2018/2019 would be a good choice. Durable, swing light, balanced and affordable. You can get brand new for $100 if you shop around. I would go with drop 11.
I would suggest an LXT or Demarini CF series as well if you can find a great deal on one. Again they swing light and balanced and are top level choices.

Dec 5, 2017
I second the carbon 1, my daughter had the Silhouette (same bat different name) as a 7 year old and it worked well for her. You might wait a see if she can try some of her teammates bats at practice and see what works for her.

Jun 8, 2016
I wouldn't spend more than $150 (even that is a bit much imo) on a bat for a kid this age. Use the money you save to buy a few buckets of balls and an L-screen.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
See where this goes.........

If in fact you're looking for a 28" bat?

Any thoughts on this bat? My 8 y/o will be playing up in 10U, which means no more RIF balls. Curious if this is worth the get, or just stick with her 29/17 Axe alloy?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Any thoughts on this bat? My 8 y/o will be playing up in 10U, which means no more RIF balls. Curious if this is worth the get, or just stick with her 29/17 Axe alloy?
Looks like it's gone now. That's a 2016 model, definitely one of LS's best year for both the LXT and the Xeno, hot as a match!! I'm sure Core can answer this better than me.......I've always wondered if the manufacturers put the same identical technology into their small bats (27", 28", 29") as they do their larger bats?? In other words, can those small bats actually get "hot"?

Mar 15, 2019
California
I'd also recommend the Mizuno Carbon 1. Nice balanced bat with good pop and bat speed. My older DD uses it as her primary bat.

A 28" -11 Velo is available here if interested, https://www.playitagainsports.com/p...rawlings-velo-28-11-drop-bb-sb-bats-fastpitch. It is a decent bat, especially as a first composite, but the pop wasn't there for my DD. She used one for a couple of months last year, so maybe we had to break it in more...

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019
California
I'd definitely second the Mizuno Carbon 1. Nice balanced bat with good pop. A 28" -11 Velo is available here, https://www.playitagainsports.com/p...rawlings-velo-28-11-drop-bb-sb-bats-fastpitch. It is a decent bat, especially as a first composite, but the pop wasn't there for my DD. She used one for a couple of months last year, so maybe we had to break it in more...
Here's another Velo, newer model, but in a 29" size. About the same overall price, https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/264584043377.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28