Looking for a composite bat for my 7 Year old DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
Am I the only one that thinks it’s stupid for your “travel ball coach” to tell you that you have to get a composite bat... what ball and compression ratio are you using at 8u?

I highly doubt the balls are full compression and that the kids have the bat speed to “require” a composite bat...

Sorry sounds more like the coach wanting to “look” like travel team more so than anything else....

Well if you have to get a composite stick to a single piece composite and don’t break the bank with two/three or 10 piece multi barrel exotic joint bats

The Milken freak should you find one should not be used by coaches as a fungo... big no no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2019
Our organization moved away from 8U, but their 10U team was very fun to watch, scrappy and played with attitude!
I hope we make the jump to 10u next year. It's tough in my area to find other 8u teams, so we end up having to travel a couple hours for tournament.

Jan 8, 2019
I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money, but trying to determine if move to composite is worth it (definitely open to used) for the 8 y/o playing 10U with real ball.
Yes! Even the bottom of the line composite bats will take the sting out of bad mishits which are more typical than not at this level!

May 23, 2015
The 2014 demarini CF5 drop 11 bats were awesome bats for that age. The white/black/red ones.

May be tough to find but somebody here might have one buried in the garage or closet.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I would def go for a composite, no use doing some cheapy metal considering what prices you
can get a composite for.
Someone mentioned the one piece comps, they always go for cheap. Every manufacturer makes a cheaper 2 piece that they price under their top line bat and you can shop these around for cheaper if you go a year or two old. You can go used, just watch for abused...as magic erasers can make all bats look good :)
Multiple ways and choices you can go with to stay cheap but still get a composite.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017
As someone posted earlier, the Rawlings Velo can be had for $99 at a few places now.

Jan 7, 2020
Am I the only one that thinks it’s stupid for your “travel ball coach” to tell you that you have to get a composite bat... what ball and compression ratio are you using at 8u?

I highly doubt the balls are full compression and that the kids have the bat speed to “require” a composite bat...

Sorry sounds more like the coach wanting to “look” like travel team more so than anything else....

Well if you have to get a composite stick to a single piece composite and don’t break the bank with two/three or 10 piece multi barrel exotic joint bats

The Milken freak should you find one should not be used by coaches as a fungo... big no no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We aren't required to have a composite bat it is something she recommended, which in all honesty i do agree with her. There is a difference when my DD hits with a Composite bat vs. when she hits with a Alloy Bats. Every team we have faced has had nothing but Composite bats. So i do see where she comes from.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
We aren't required to have a composite bat it is something she recommended, which in all honesty i do agree with her. There is a difference when my DD hits with a Composite bat vs. when she hits with a Alloy Bats. Every team we have faced has had nothing but Composite bats. So i do see where she comes from.

If its "recommended" that's fine.. everyone has opinions and manager has a right to recommend whatever they feel (however wrong lol) will help their team .. my main issue was with making it a "requirement" at that age... thanks for clarifying.

May 29, 2015
Thank you all for your help, i will definitely not spend 400 on a bat. We have like 4 girls on our team who have Prism bats and my daughter doesn't like them. one girl has the 2020 Ghost which my daughter used and hit pretty good but im not going to spend that much on a bat for someone who will keep growing, we also have another girl on the team that has the brand new 2020 Ghost Advance and has been using it for about 2 weeks now, now that is a awesome bats lol. We have a Easton rep coming to our practice next week so ima see what he has and let my daughter swing a couple of bats and see if we can find something at a decent price that she will like. Again thank you for all of your inputs.

OK, I just can’t ... I made it that far and I cannot go any further. Buying Ghosts for 7 year olds?! An Easton rep coming to practice for 7 and 8 year olds?!

Flame away at me. Someday I hope to have enough money that it doesn’t matter how little sense I have.

Sorry for intruding ... going back to my grumpire threads ...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28