Look back v. leaving early

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2021
When does the look back rule "end" and leaving early begin?
Last night under NFHS rules I had my only runner on 2nd and before the pitcher was ready to pitch but in the circle with the ball, she took off for third.
If I understand look back correctly she's allowed to go but she's commited to 3rd at that point but the BU called time and sent her back, because the pitcher had the ball in the circle. Which I'm pretty sure wast the incorrect procedure but that's a different point.
If someone would cite the NFHS rule number for when leaving early begins I would appreciate it.

Jan 11, 2015
Last night under NFHS rules I had my only runner on 2nd and before the pitcher was ready to pitch but in the circle with the ball, she took off for third.
If I understand look back correctly she's allowed to go but she's commited to 3rd at that point but the BU called time and sent her back, because the pitcher had the ball in the circle. Which I'm pretty sure wast the incorrect procedure but that's a different point.
If someone would cite the NFHS rule number for when leaving early begins I would appreciate it.

The look back rule and leaving early on the steal is pretty much the same principle. The runner cant leave the base until the pitcher doesnt have possession of the ball. Once the pitcher delivers the pitch, she doesnt have possession of the ball anymore and that is when the runner may leave the base for a steal.

Sounds like your runner should have been called out as she is not allowed to leave the base once the pitcher has the ball in the circle. Are you trying to say your runners are allowed to leave the base and advance to the next base as long as they dont stop because the pitcher wasnt on the pitching plate? If that is what you think is allowed by the rule it isnt. The look back rule doesnt even mention the pitching plate, that is why there is a big white circle in the middle of the field. It is for this rule.

The penalty for both is the same. Dead ball and the runner is called out. Usually you call it a look back rule violation when it happens before the start of the pitch.

Apr 8, 2021
Correct, she wasn't called out. It just got me wondering if there is a distinct difference between the two.

Jan 11, 2015
Well there is a whole section about the lookback rule while there is only an article for the runner leaving early on a steal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210617-151207.png
    Screenshot_20210617-151207.png
    178.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20210617-151135.png
    Screenshot_20210617-151135.png
    162.6 KB · Views: 33
Jul 22, 2015
Once the runner has stopped on a base and the pitcher has control of the ball in the circle the runner violates the lookback rule if she leaves the base. I believe (not positive) it would be a leave early once the pitcher is on the pitching rubber. Both would result in a dead ball out.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Once the runner has stopped on a base and the pitcher has control of the ball in the circle the runner violates the lookback rule if she leaves the base. I believe (not positive) it would be a leave early once the pitcher is on the pitching rubber. Both would result in a dead ball out.
Bingo!

May 29, 2015

Nope ... and nope. She's out all day, every day.

Do they not provide coaches rule books? Under NFHS rules: read ALL the articles under Rule 8-7.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Umpire seemed to know the rule, easy enough to lookup online. DD played with and againt players that never played SB before and sometimes umps gave players a break which can cause some confusion. I was OK with it.

May 29, 2015
Actually, no, they don't!

That was a sarcastic/making a point question (I'm sure you knew that though :giggle: ).

However, thinking my comment through a little more ...

Advice to coaches: If you want to be a serious coach, GET THE RULEBOOK. I don't expect you to dive into it like I would expect an umpire to, but this way you can make yourself a better coach. The NFHS book is available in print and digitally for $7. USSSA and NCAA provide theirs online for free. USA Softball has an app you can get (I think it was $14-15 in 2019, I haven't updated since) and your state organization should have physical copies you can ask for.

Follow-up advice to coaches: NEVER bring the book or your app on the field.