look back rule on ball 4

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
I think Gunner was referring to the pace of the player’s movement, not how fast she makes the decision.

This is exactly right. Once the LBR is in effect and you "decide" which base the rule doesn't say how fast you must go (to that base).

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
True, but keep in mind that the pitcher controls the tempo ... if you are horsing around out there and the pitcher is ready to pitch ... hammer.

May 17, 2012
True, but keep in mind that the pitcher controls the tempo ... if you are horsing around out there and the pitcher is ready to pitch ... hammer.

This is not true.

In reality an offensive team could muck about on the bases "forever" in a first and third situation, LBR be damned.

May 29, 2015
Umpire cannot allow the pitcher to pitch while runners are legally off base.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

True. But I didn’t say she threw the pitch. However, the pitcher releasing a pitch is mentioned in the LBR as a time when the LBR is negated. Not sure why ... thoughts on that?

May 29, 2015
This is not true.

In reality an offensive team could muck about on the bases "forever" in a first and third situation, LBR be damned.

Not true. They get one change of direction.

Creeping is (IMO) not an attempt to advance. It is an attempt to draw a play. I’m not going to ring the girl up right away if she is creeping. However if no play is being made, the pitcher is preparing to pitch, and she continues to creep instead of making an actual attempt to go or go back ... now we have a problem.

Jun 22, 2008
Nothing in the rule says a word about how fast they must move. As long as they are moving nothing you can do about it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Dec 11, 2010
MIB, I don’t think he’s talking about creeping. He is talking about a well planned and well executed first and third play that high level softball teams run regularly.

I have watched this happen many times. The most exaggerated case I saw was Beverly Bandits Conroy.

Base on balls creates a first and third, runner rounds first and turns toward second. Pitcher has ball in circle. Waits until runner is almost to second, makes play. Runner bursts off third as soon as this happens. SS walks runner back to first, (which is most teams only hope against that team). Throws ball back to circle, as she throws ball back to pitcher, runner bursts back off first. It’s on again.

This went on for awhile, a surprisingly long time, finally ss gets frustrated, takes the out at first, the run scores.

Some teams are REALLY good at this. And they have the kind of speed that makes it REALLY hard to defend.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802