Long Toss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
Sorry to hijack the tread with a non contributing reply but...
Long toss sucks! My catcher DD wanted to get a little work in over the weekend and we walked to the park. I long tossed my shoulder into much pain. Getting old sucks!:ROFLMAO:

I’m guessing you didn’t do any “dynamic stretching” before throwing?

Jun 19, 2016
This is regular underhand pitch for long toss? 130' seems very long. I have backed my DD up but never anywhere that far.

Sep 19, 2018
This is regular underhand pitch for long toss? 130' seems very long. I have backed my DD up but never anywhere that far.
that is a good question. I've been thinking this was all underhand, but a couple of the comments had me thinking that some people are talking about overhand long toss.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Long toss sucks! My catcher DD wanted to get a little work in over the weekend and we walked to the park. I long tossed my shoulder into much pain. Getting old sucks!:ROFLMAO:
I didn't have a problem with DD on the long toss, but 3 years later her younger brother didn't take long to surpass my abilities. So I just stay at home plate and make him work further out, and carry the bucket of balls with him as he goes. He throws, I catch and drop them into another bucket. Getting old does suck. I'll be 29 for the 22nd time tomorrow. Uff da!

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Maybe work on the 'parent' drill, 'toss with long roll'?

May 24, 2013
So Cal

Good luck. I strained my rotator cuff pretty badly doing he same thing. For a long time, I couldn't throw 30' without pain, and it took me about a year to throw pain-free.

Feb 15, 2017
Sure you can. The rate a ball decelerates is static. There are no variables in the equation. Enviromental variables are temperature, altitude, humidity.... A ball at 6000ft alt will fly further than at sea level. Same angle different speeds thrown at the same time will travel known distances

Speed is constant as well. The millisecond the ball leaves the fingertips it starts deceleration and gravity starts pulling it down.

Ok so I said that wrong.... the multiplier has to change because of what you described.....

“For each X feet = 1mph” You can’t say that with accuracy unless you say:

“For the first X feet then X feet = 1 mph. For the next X feet then X feet = 1 mph”

Aug 1, 2019
MN
It was amazing to watch Monica Abbott warm up doing underhand long toss in a college fieldhouse. Full length of a tennis court, plus maybe 15' run around room on each end, plus about 8 lanes of indoor track. That's about 140'. And consistently putting throws into a zone about 50% larger than a normal strike zone.

That was just warm up. No idea what she could max out at.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802