Long foul balls -- to catch or let it drop?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
I think there is more than one right answer, I just know what I would do!

@Greatdaytobeawildcat, check out 6-4-3 Charts on Twitter. Not saying the answer is there but they post some run expectancy stuff for softball.

Edited to add: very few teams have a strategy for their outfielders. They do for their infield. Why no strategy in outfield? Not even the most basic like, when we are going for catches, here’s when stopping the ball is our #1 priority. (Not even talking situations here, you can do this by where the ball is hit a lot of the time.) I even see it at d1 college level- outfielders scooping balls outside their feet when their is no play to be made etc.

Last edited:
May 20, 2015
I was watching my beloved Gators last night playing at UCF. Tie game, top of the sixth, bases loaded, one out. Long fly ball hit to foul territory in left. The OF made the catch, allowing the third-base runner to score and go ahead.

Was that the right play? DD and I had the discussion after. Making the catch got an out, which was needed, but it also gave up a for-sure run. Would you have told your girls to let it fall with a runner in scoring position, or take the out when you can?

FTR: UCF won the game in the bottom of the 7th with a walk-off, two run homer, but I think he question is still valid so I thought I'd toss it out there.

DDs and i just watched this replay last night, just now seeing this thread

i made the exact statement that she should have let it drop......they looked at me like i was nuts

no outs, i think i'd consider taking the out, just to get one on the board......the odds of them scoring bases loaded/no outs is pretty high, yes? take the out, lessen the chances of a big inning

with one out, imho letting it drop would have been the right call

either way, two run walk off ends the debate lol

Oct 4, 2018
In late inning tight games, in the right situation I’ve ran out of the dugout screaming “LET IT DROP“ more than a bunch of times!

If I’m going to get beat, I’d rather it be from a legitimate hit! Lots of gambling in softball, by not catching that long foul ball, the next pitch might be a routine ground ball out?

It is truly a craptacular way to lose a game.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Still a lot of softball to play. There are situations where one would want to let that ball drop. It depends on who's pitching and how close the game score was (in totality) along with the thought of if your team could score in the next 6 outs. Low scoring affair and good opposing pitcher, let it drop. Higher scoring affair...trade the out for the run and hope to get it back. If I thought the game would come down to a 1 run differential then let it drop. By the sixth inning, everyone should have a good sense of the flow of the game.

Dec 30, 2020
York, PA
Totally agree - absolutely based on the situation and the following players up to bat and more. What about 12U level B or level C players then ... yet even more circumstances to consider. I don't think you'd drill this scenario into your players heads but you'd definitely call a time out and/or get the words out to your outfielders to drop "if foul". Fun scenario to think about - coaching that scenario for your girls is another story :-D :eek:

Jun 11, 2013
At a power 5 conference it's one thing. At 12U it's another. I do think as you progress the concept should be brought up. It's reasonable if you have worked on it to call it out but even at high levels I would rather the coach make the call versus a player doing on their own. There are a lot of variables going on. Even a tie game in the 6th is different if it's 1-1 versus 13-13. I do think if you are in HS or College you should be able to execute it because you get a lot of practice time. I always thought in a tie game in bottom of inning it would be worth teaching a kid how to keep bouncing ball out of glove while running in. While the runner can run on first contact of the glove it could confuse them. It's your only chance.

Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky just caught two in foul shallow right field allowing Georgia to score both times.

Hasn’t mattered so far- Kentucky is ripping the cover off the ball at the plate.

Last edited:

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Think it depends on the game for me like Notch said. High scoring game where runs are a plenty...then I catch it and take the out. With 6 outs, I would bet on my team scoring some runs. If its a 1-1 game with strikeouts a plenty, I let it drop and hope for a K or force to get out of it knowing its gonna be hard
to score more runs if we give one away.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12