Locker room baptisms at Texas Tech?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 10, 2018
NY
Amen Josh, agree 100%. My DD missed travel ball for Christian tambourine camp, VBS, church on Sundays. The team survived and she thrived and is a solid Christian 20 year old.

In crazy times such as this, "Turmoil all around me....but...Christ within me!"

Feb 6, 2018
MN
I feel everyone has a right to have their baptism wherever they should choose as religion is a personal belief. Personally the locker room is odd to me as I played hockey and that place always stunk. Out on the softball field would be cool.

May 6, 2015
I just think when a coach (or team captain, etc) is involved, you have to be very careful about making certain that it is very clear this is something outside team activities, so as not to ostracize (or even give appearance) anyone not participating. having team leadership involved in this while doing it inside the locker room might (to an impressionable young person especially) make it seem like this is expecte to be fully part of the team. very fine line, which is why I would reccomend they move it to another venue, such as the school chapel, to really make certain there is separation. nothing wrong with it perse, but it could give a (hopefully) wrong impression.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Softball and religion are two separate topics. That said...

Had the opportunity and was hired to do team training and catchers clinics for an organization that was christian-based. I am not Christian. Do already have a solid religion I enjoy.
Okay with prayer.
( for this story HC was aware of my not Christian based religion)

The team practices were held at a private Christian High School where the head coach happened to also coach. Everybody knew it was christian-based and that they would also do Bible study after practices. Thats peoples choice.
i did not have to participate with Bible study although I was invited. That's fine, but no thank you.

Two weeks in, it started getting to where on the field befor workouts the head coach would walk over to me and gather any other parents that were standing around and say come here let's pray together. We need to pray for this person or this subject. She would go to put arms around us and to inlist into a small group to start praying.
Of whIch that was awkward.
Because its not a scheduled thing. Rather an impromptu moment gathering,,,by the head coach...
That frankly,
Can catch people in an awkward moment.
Could see in others faces...
To participate, or not can be awkward to those who dont USE THEIR OWN VOICES to say yes please or no thankyou.

After participating the first time to see how that would go, because I am not against prayer.
It concluded to me
The timing, subject matter,
and whom/how TO pray differed greatly, was not of interest to me.

The next week when I showed up again the head coach went to gather us up just a few of us to do a little prayer session. This time i said,
" thank you for the opportunity I am already focused on softball. Appreciate the opportunity but no thank you."

'Oh my goodness'!!!!
the face of shock and horror of the head coach lady to actually have somebody tell her no thank you. Unfortunately from that point on that person's demeanor and personality completely changed.
Finished my schedule.
Moved on.

in anything we do
Socially
Softball or Religion
is the opportunity to
'Respect eachothers diversity.'
or atleast
Learn how to !

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
I am joking
You are killing me man!

Religion is, and should be a personal thing for the person. People feel the power different ways and if softball helps them feel it, that’s awesome.

I just think people in positions of authority in public institutions have to be extremely careful to not give the appearance that they are “propagating” a certain faith. (That word taken directly from the article.)

I appreciate the thoughtful responses here and have read all of them. Much respect to all of you.

Jun 8, 2016
I am just glad ball isn't played in churches...I would be going to Hell for sure (actually I think I may have told an umpire or 10 that very thing when I played..)

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
You are killing me man!

Religion is, and should be a personal thing for the person. People feel the power different ways and if softball helps them feel it, that’s awesome.

I just think people in positions of authority in public institutions have to be extremely careful to not give the appearance that they are “propagating” a certain faith. (That word taken directly from the article.)

I appreciate the thoughtful responses here and have read all of them. Much respect to all of you.

Bold above is a great point. People are entitled to their own beliefs; religion, politics, etc. It was always my understanding that tolerance was supposed to be for everyone. I have no issue discussing my beliefs within anyone willing to have an adult conversation. But once someone starts demeaning me for my views, or trying to "save" me, I am no longer interested. When a person in authority is involved, it becomes even trickier because some people don't know where to draw the line.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Bold above is a great point. People are entitled to their own beliefs; religion, politics, etc. It was always my understanding that tolerance was supposed to be for everyone. I have no issue discussing my beliefs within anyone willing to have an adult conversation. But once someone starts demeaning me for my views, or trying to "save" me, I am no longer interested. When a person in authority is involved, it becomes even trickier because some people don't know where to draw the line.

Agreed. Here in CT (where I think it would be darn near impossible to get even 9 players of faith - much less the same faith, or who practiced that faith the same way - on a team), the closest I ever got to religion in sports was high school football, where our coach before we took the field for a game would say “now, let’s each in his own way, say a silent prayer, not for victory, but that no one gets knocked.” Which was about as close to the line as I'd like.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom