Lock it in drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
My DD continues to have a lot to work on (plenty of flaws in the motion), but it was nice to see her throwing a good amount of strikes following the switch to IR. She still has a lot of time, as she's a 1st year 10-u player.

www.flickr.com/photos/43444487@N00/49920911838/in/album-72157714403579371/

www.flickr.com/photos/43444487@N00/49921738432/in/album-72157714403579371/
Throw it through your target rather than just to it. Make the catcher's mitt pop and scare him once in a while :devilish: . You're going to have to use the legs better to do it.

Very nice you two (y)

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I'm seeing a straight arm through release along with a posture that enables this (slightly hinged/tilted at the hips to allow for the straight arm to pass.) I think I'd back things off and start from up close with very little lower half effort. I'd suggest 9 or 12 o'clocks up close without any focus on control. Tell her that the person she's throwing to is a fetcher--not a catcher. Take away the distraction of control and focus on awareness of form.

Work for a posture that is stacked. Hips over the toes and shoulders over the hips like this pic of Sarah Pauly:

Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 7.41.30 PM.png

Allow the lower arm to relax and hang from the elbow. Use the IR progression found here:

Let the elbow tuck in behind the hip bone and let the lower arm wrap/roll around the thigh. Let the ball fling out of the fingers due to whip. Let release happen--don't make it happen. Check progress with slow motion video. If she can maintain good posture and whip for a few throws, move back a step or two and add more effort.

Nov 22, 2019
I'm seeing a straight arm through release along with a posture that enables this (slightly hinged/tilted at the hips to allow for the straight arm to pass.) I think I'd back things off and start from up close with very little lower half effort. I'd suggest 9 or 12 o'clocks up close without any focus on control. Tell her that the person she's throwing to is a fetcher--not a catcher. Take away the distraction of control and focus on awareness of form.

Work for a posture that is stacked. Hips over the toes and shoulders over the hips like this pic of Sarah Pauly:

View attachment 17892

Allow the lower arm to relax and hang from the elbow. Use the IR progression found here:

Let the elbow tuck in behind the hip bone and let the lower arm wrap/roll around the thigh. Let the ball fling out of the fingers due to whip. Let release happen--don't make it happen. Check progress with slow motion video. If she can maintain good posture and whip for a few throws, move back a step or two and add more effort.

Different angles. Arm is bent, is it bent enough? Trying to work on posture.
Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 11.03.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 11.03.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 11.12.35 PM.png

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Different angles. Arm is bent, is it bent enough? Trying to work on posture.
View attachment 17898
View attachment 17897

View attachment 17899
IMO there isn't enough FSR (front side resistance) which allows her to leak forward and not closing the hips. This keeps her too open and allows the arm more time to straighten and flow past the body as Ken pointed out. I worked a drill with my DD without the ball to stride forward and catch herself on the stride foot and push back so that she would fall backwards. It got her to feel that front side pressure pushing back. As her form comes together that resistance will help push that hip closed allowing the rear leg to come thru and become stacked allowing for the proper brush interference. BI and FSR are very important for proper posture. I have also always told DD to drive out straight, to try and keep shoulders and hips pointed forwards at catcher. This helped her not get as open, and let the body naturally do it's thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28