Lock it in drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2019
Ok I’m completely confused by this clip. Someone’s not teaching her correctly. I’d like to see a clip of dad performing the drill he’s trying to teach her to see if he understands.

What the heck does “go under the table” mean?

Why is she starting with the ball in front of her and her elbow bent 90 degrees ball forward to 3:00?

Why isn’t she starting at the bottom any more? Did I miss something?

Why isn’t she externally rotating to palm up behind her at 9:00. Maybe it’s time to start her at Palm up and 9:00. I see zero evidence of even an attempt to get to that position. Without achieving that position, the rest is half baked..

Why isn’t she getting to 9:00? Did no one physically show her? I’m gonna say no. Even if you have to stand right next to her and MAKE HER achieve ball up AND 9:00, do it.

This is baffling to me that she is allowed to continue to use poor mechanics. Stand next to her and SHOW HER WHAT IS CORRECT. If your not going to do that you shouldn’t be teaching her to pitch. That’s the harsh reality.

I’ll tell you that a lot of the time her little flip move at the bottom to throw the ball isn’t half bad.

So get next to her and show her what is correct until she gets it. Even if YOU HAVE TO MOVE HER ARM.

And don’t post another clip until she gets to palm up AND 9:00 Got it? (Mostly kidding). Mostly.......

Go under the table was in the 1st video someone posted.

Maybe it's just time to give up, as I don't get it.

I don't even seem know what ball up looks like. Live it looked up, but I guess it wasn't getting there, more to the side.

I thought you were supposed to take the ball as far as the guy in the picture, and I can barely see a difference.

I showed her the videos and gif and try to remember what they show and demonstrate as best I can with a surgically repaired shoulder, but obviously I'm doing a terrible job.

IMG_1700.jpgIMG_1701.jpgbm-lock-it.gif.

Aug 21, 2008
Go under the table was in the 1st video someone posted.

I don't even seem know what ball up looks like. Live it looked up, but I guess it wasn't getting there, more to the side.

I thought you were supposed to take the ball as far as the guy in the picture, and I can barely see a difference.

I showed her the videos and gif and try to remember what they show and demonstrate as best I can with a surgically repaired shoulder, but obviously I'm doing a terrible job.

View attachment 16999View attachment 17000View attachment 17001.

NJ, she's 9 years old. Giving up now would be a tad bit premature. She's going to have a lot of days where it gets frustrating, and she's only now learning her own body awareness and movements. If this is something SHE loves doing, then you should never let her give up on it. Even if that means she's destined only be a rec league pitcher, if she loves it then help her be the best she can be, regardless of where that takes her. But she's still only 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know about, or even pretend to know about all the drills that people talk about. But Boardmember is right, make sure you understand things yourself before you have her trying to do it. Don't just copy what you see on a video, understand it inside and out. Otherwise it's like giving a blind man a lantern, useless. The ability to demonstrate it is great but, if you can't do that then, at the very least, be 10000% sure of what you're looking for, what is right, what is wrong, and how to help fix any problems. This would be true regardless of what "drill" you're trying to get her to do.

Finally, posting videos is going to subject yourself (and your kid) to all kinds of responses, positive and negative. In my experience, the people on this forum have kind hearts and will try to help, even if it's constructive criticism. Nobody is going to legitimately be malicious towards you, or especially your daughter. 99% of these guys have been where you are, trying to learn about pitching softball for their daughter as most have never done this themselves. I can almost guarantee any question you can possibly ask has already been asked on this forum 10x before you, in one thread or another. Emails, texts and forum posts can sometimes give off an unintended "tone" that is easy to misread. As you are on here more and more you will learn each person's sense of humor (for those that have one) but no matter what, keep in mind that nobody is going to purposely or intentionally slam you or your kid. But you still have to have a certain measure of thick skin, but just remember that all the comments you get from people here are meant to help you, even the ones that are critical.

I almost never comment on videos posted but in this case I would have done so for you, to prove my point about being a kind soul. :) However, I would be speaking jiberish because I don't completely understand this one either, so I'll defer to others here. Just enjoy what you're doing with your daughter because it will fly by. Tomorrow you'll wake up and she'll be married with kids and her pitching career a distant memory.

Bill

Jul 14, 2008

Or, dig in hard and figure it out.

don't even seem know what ball up looks like.

Get her to turn the ball back before she starts up. That will put her in ball up position when she gets to 9:00. Notice how early I’m turning the ball back.
86A2B3EC-D1C1-4F48-94D4-7178F64ACD37.gif0B242AA3-6294-464C-9FD7-772A995CA1E0.gif

Also, My arm is directly behind me at 9:00, hers is out to the side, that’s the difference you aren’t seeing. Go back up and study the still pictures you posted of her and me.

Now Quit whining and get back to work. ;)

Last edited:
May 16, 2019
My friend is so awesome to see your post. I’m still at it. I was one of the lucky ones to listen and learn from you a long time ago. I’m surprised you remember me. Lol

A little closer?

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Enjoy this setup for the young ones. Really gives them a chance to learn on their own, which is what they have to do when they are in a game. Like the tarp. It makes a nice noise that I believe helps than to like throwing harder. Notice how soon the fingers and ball are pointed to the 3rd base line (keeps the elbow unlocked)

- Softball Pitching Instruction progression drills

Nov 22, 2019
NJ, she's 9 years old. Giving up now would be a tad bit premature. She's going to have a lot of days where it gets frustrating, and she's only now learning her own body awareness and movements. If this is something SHE loves doing, then you should never let her give up on it. Even if that means she's destined only be a rec league pitcher, if she loves it then help her be the best she can be, regardless of where that takes her. But she's still only 9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know about, or even pretend to know about all the drills that people talk about. But Boardmember is right, make sure you understand things yourself before you have her trying to do it. Don't just copy what you see on a video, understand it inside and out. Otherwise it's like giving a blind man a lantern, useless. The ability to demonstrate it is great but, if you can't do that then, at the very least, be 10000% sure of what you're looking for, what is right, what is wrong, and how to help fix any problems. This would be true regardless of what "drill" you're trying to get her to do.

Finally, posting videos is going to subject yourself (and your kid) to all kinds of responses, positive and negative. In my experience, the people on this forum have kind hearts and will try to help, even if it's constructive criticism. Nobody is going to legitimately be malicious towards you, or especially your daughter. 99% of these guys have been where you are, trying to learn about pitching softball for their daughter as most have never done this themselves. I can almost guarantee any question you can possibly ask has already been asked on this forum 10x before you, in one thread or another. Emails, texts and forum posts can sometimes give off an unintended "tone" that is easy to misread. As you are on here more and more you will learn each person's sense of humor (for those that have one) but no matter what, keep in mind that nobody is going to purposely or intentionally slam you or your kid. But you still have to have a certain measure of thick skin, but just remember that all the comments you get from people here are meant to help you, even the ones that are critical.

I almost never comment on videos posted but in this case I would have done so for you, to prove my point about being a kind soul. :) However, I would be speaking jiberish because I don't completely understand this one either, so I'll defer to others here. Just enjoy what you're doing with your daughter because it will fly by. Tomorrow you'll wake up and she'll be married with kids and her pitching career a distant memory.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I was more just giving up on myself helping her. I understand your philosophy of throw the ball across the body - it's simple and makes sense. When she does that, she generally pitches well for being 9. I was actually talking to a D1 pitcher's dad last week from afar and he mentioned you as a resource of how he helped his daughter.

With the arm rotation stuff it's more difficult for me to understand. Having torn my labrum and rotator cuff a long time ago, if I take a ball and go 9 o'clock palm-up I feel a lot of pressure/pain in my shoulder. So then I worry am I doing this right, or I am I going to hurt my daughter's shoulder. At the same time, I can't throw a football, nor can I throw a baseball or softball overhand very fast or far, so maybe for normal shoulders this a perfectly fine position.

With no softball and stuck at the house, I just wanted to try and help develop the part of the motion she is seemingly missing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802