Lock it in drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
There are definitely two opinions regarding drills and progression based teaching vs. working full motion all the time and adjusting and molding the motion to fit a deliverable mechanic. I’ve done my share of both and here’s what I learned.........

When I have kids throw for me for the first time during our initial meeting to assess where we’re starting from, there are those kids who exhibit a natural ability to throw a ball underhand correctly. Then there are those who have no clue how to throw a ball underhand even if they have fairly decent mechanics otherwise. The latter group struggles needlessly to find the “golden move” while in full motion.

Sure, if I keep them coming back lesson after lesson, working through a learning process of working on the most basic mechanics, they MIGHT GET IT at some point. Those that do can progress. Those that don’t keep paying to work on the same fundamentals over and over.

What I finally came to understand was that because of my intimate understanding of how to teach the underhand throwing motion, teaching someone to throw the ball underhand FIRST cut the learning curve time in half, allowing us to work sooner on more advanced mechanics. That made everyone involved happy and excited to return and move forward.

It would be hard for me to believe that even someone like Hillhouse has never used a drill to break down SOME PART of the pitching motion that a student wasn’t grasping in order to isolate the flaw and ingrain proper mechanics and feelings. If you believe he never has, I got a bridge I’ll sell ya.

My wife refuses to learn “control C“ and “control V” to copy and paste, and insists on rolling the mouse up to “edit copy” and back up to “edit paste”. I don’t even bother telling her anymore because she feels like her way works fine, and she’s right. But it’s still the long way in my opinion.

Aug 21, 2008
It would be hard for me to believe that even someone like Hillhouse has never used a drill to break down SOME PART of the pitching motion that a student wasn’t grasping in order to isolate the flaw and ingrain proper mechanics and feelings. If you believe he never has, I got a bridge I’ll sell ya.

Of course he has! But he doesn't use drills for teaching the pitching motion. He uses them for fixing something that needs it. Doing drills unnecessarily (to me) is like taking advil without a headache, it's useless.

Jul 14, 2008
Yep and I get that is your philosophy. Was mine too back in the day. Now they get an evaluation on delivery mechanics. If they are close or already have the golden move they get to skip the rudimentary stuff and move on. If they don’t, I teach it to them so they get start closer to the ones that do.

Like I said, control V or edit copy, it’s an individual choice. I don’t knock it either way. They both work IN THE RIGHT HANDS.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
Yea, I think what you're describing (although I don't wanna put words in your mouth) is that a lot of times when you see someone new, they have to unlearn a lot of things that aren't fundamentally sound. Such as hello elbow crapage. Getting people to unlearn things makes coaching 10x harder than it needs to be.

Jul 14, 2008
Well you did name one of the reasons. Like I said, the first thing I evaluate is whether a student knows how to throw a ball underhand using proper technique.

You act like the only reason someone shouldn’t know how to throw a ball underhand “the way you do” is if they were taught not to.

Thats simply not true and anyone who teaches pitching knows that. To me it just sounds like “bluster” that you don’t need that useless stuff. To each his own I say. And I respect your methodology.

Aug 21, 2008
I don't think I "act like the only reason someone shouldn't know how to throw a ball underhand 'the way I do" is if they were not taught to.". I don't think that's a fair comment to make nor is it what I said or what I think. There are other reasons someone may have poor technique in throwing a ball but I do think a blank canvas is USUALLY easier to work with than someone who has things to unlearn. Such as, all the useless warm up stuff, the ridiculous HE mechanics, or that they don't actually have 8 pitches. And I don't think it's "bluster" if I don't need useless stuff, and I have not said what I think is useless or not so don't get ahead of yourself here either.

Jul 14, 2008
Ok I’ll try not to get ahead of myself Bill. But to be clear, this thread is about the lock it in “drill”. And you have used the words drill and useless in the same sentence, in this thread, more then once. Coincidence or subtle message.

You said you don’t use drills to teach the pitching motion, but you do use them to fix things.

I said I evaluate the throwing motion first before anything else. And if I determine it’s broken, sub par, or isn’t working correctly, I use drills to fix it. And I’d venture a guess that 75% of students that came to me didn’t throw the ball correctly unless they were already accomplished. I’ve said in the past that if you give me a student who already knows how to throw the ball properly, I can make myself look like a really great pitching coach really fast.

Seems like we’re on the same page, except for what each other thinks is the most important part of learning to pitch.

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Here is a picture. In 2nd frame ball and fingers pointed to baseline (prevents locking elbow). In 4th frame we are at 9 o'clock and having this discussion,

Attachments

• Uenoarmcircle.png
    Uenoarmcircle.png
    131 KB · Views: 44
Aug 21, 2008
Ok I’ll try not to get ahead of myself Bill. But to be clear, this thread is about the lock it in “drill”. And you have used the words drill and useless in the same sentence, in this thread, more then once. Coincidence or subtle message.

You said you don’t use drills to teach the pitching motion, but you do use them to fix things.

I said I evaluate the throwing motion first before anything else. And if I determine it’s broken, sub par, or isn’t working correctly, I use drills to fix it. And I’d venture a guess that 75% of students that came to me didn’t throw the ball correctly unless they were already accomplished. I’ve said in the past that if you give me a student who already knows how to throw the ball properly, I can make myself look like a really great pitching coach really fast.

Seems like we’re on the same page, except for what each other thinks is the most important part of learning to pitch.

I truly thought my ex-wife was the most passive-aggressive person I'd ever known until I had 'met' you. But, you're the new champ!! Wear your title with pride John.

Jul 14, 2008
Haha ok Bill really? Name calling? That’s always a great way to shut down a conversation. Just for the heck of I’ll post the definition of what you labeled me, and your wife. Pretty ironic if you actually read it, and let it sink in.

pas·sive-ag·gres·sive: of or denoting a type of behavior or personality characterized by indirect resistance to the demands of others and an avoidance of direct confrontation, as in procrastinating, pouting, or misplacing important materials

Anyway, I’ve spent a ton of time explaining the mechanics of throwing a ball underhand and put together a set of “progressive drills” designed to help parents and coaches gain an understanding, and grasp the feel of those mechanics. Especially for those parents and players who can’t get to a quality pitching coach, or can’t afford it. And they are FREE. And they work. Calling me names doesn’t change any of that my friend.

Happy Easter. I’m sure you’ll find all your eggs in one basket.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee