Locating Fastball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
Do you teach just inside and outside or high and low also? A friend went to a tryout and he said they worked inside/outside and up/down. We share the same PC and he only teaches in/out. We talked with two other parents and the only teach in/out (different PC than us). Not sure what's normal and wondered why our PC doesn't. Rise?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Not picking on umpires, like umpires and thank them all the time.

DD throws the least strikes of any pitcher. If umpire gives low balls, ball is going low. If gives high ball, ball is going high. Same with outside and inside.

I think she has more success with up and down then inside or outside, not sure why they would not work on it.

Oct 13, 2017
DD's(9yo) PC has her hit 4 corneres with her FB. She started with just in and out but has extended to expecting more control with the p

Oct 21, 2015
It's like I tell my dd you have to be able to work with whatever the ump is calling . Up or down

Jan 28, 2017
Kinda weird the better pitchers in our area with at least 3 different PC's do not teach up and down in the zone. Naturally my DD throws to what the umpire is calling. I have always wondered why the PC's in our area doesn't teach up in the zone. Rise ball is all could think of. I guess I need to ask him. LOL

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Do you teach just inside and outside or high and low also?

This is about as basic as it gets...your DD has to learn to throw to each of the four corners of the strike zone.

We share the same PC and he only teaches in/out.

I don't get this...maybe someone else can explain this to me.

It takes about 15 minutes to learn how to throw inside/outside/high/low. Once you and your DD know the concept, then it is hours and hours in the backyard practicing in order to master it.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
From age 7 we worked on location all around. High, low, inside and outside. She's 2nd year 12U now and can put a fastball just about anywhere it's called. Why would you not work on that? I don't get it.

Jan 28, 2017
DD throws strikes and understands her release to bring the ball up and down but not worked on in our area. My DD is 12 and talked with a 14U pitcher's mother that plays with the big girls. Her daughter has a different PC and they do not work up and down. Her daughter is a master already of never throwing a strike and gets people out all day long. She doesn't throw that hard but knows what she is doing. Surprised again.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This is about as basic as it gets...your DD has to learn to throw to each of the four corners of the strike zone.

I don't get this...maybe someone else can explain this to me.

It takes about 15 minutes to learn how to throw inside/outside/high/low. Once you and your DD know the concept, then it is hours and hours in the backyard practicing in order to master it.

When you get a chance please post the concepts involved for locating the fastball consistently to each corner.

Apr 28, 2014
If you can't change eye levels unless the kid is throwing 65+ you will never get outs past 14u

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28