Loading Vertically

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2014
I am trying to get a feel of what some define as loading vertically. WW posted in another thread (https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/where-do-we-start-updated-improvement.40667/post-605864) that " op, think in terms of getting a load vertically. Not back and forth or by rotation. That should take her active hand load away and maybe keep her taller. "

IMHO, I see HL hitters often start tall, decrease in stature during the swing, and finish nearly where they started. This of course isn't everyone and also depends on the pitch location. After my gather, as I walk away from my hands I like to get into a position where I go from tall to fall. Maybe it's style, but I feel the FBC gets me to the front-side and I am "shorter" in my fall or stride-out at toe-touch as I launch.

This video is from WW:

In doing some research I found this article on hip extension and rotation to be helpful. https://ericcressey.com/hip-extension-and-rotation-in-the-baseball-swing

A clip from that article is of Griffey with the Reds. It shows the sequence of his rotation with three lines. Griffey goes from extension to flexion to extension again.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I’ve been exploring this for a long time now. For the simple reason is it matches what many pros say they feel. ‘Down to’ or ‘staying straight’ or ‘staying closed’ are cues that I use quite often to get the swing to launch and stay vertical for as long as possible.

the other benefit to me is the energy transfer is more efficient with better direction and spacing. Keeping the energy ‘inside’ (no leaks) the body and vertical is key imo.

Reactions: TDS
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Vertical body means the shoulders are horizontal. Many great athletes can overcome flaws with great eye hand coordination. Shoulders ( upper body chassis) should work around the tilted spine both loading and unloading which is not vertical . But come game time with pitches coming at the batter with speed and spin it becomes all athleticism. Adjustments made by athletes at game speed can make a perfect swing look funny.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Vertical body means the shoulders are horizontal. Many great athletes can overcome flaws with great eye hand coordination. Shoulders ( upper body chassis) should work around the tilted spine both loading and unloading which is not vertical . But come game time with pitches coming at the batter with speed and spin it becomes all athleticism. Adjustments made by athletes at game speed can make a perfect swing look funny.

its vertical loading. Where the energy is filtered. Not vertical body. And if it was all athleticism guys wouldn’t practice so much. It’s technique. Not athleticism. It’s athleticism at the amateur level. No one at the MLB level ‘out athletes’ the competition for very long.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Vertical loading unloading is real. Its what allows hitters to start 60/40 and move out and land 60/40.

Try to keep the barrel loading unloading within the s-plane as long as possible. The bat body will flatten out during the "down to".

44hy5xW.gif

eyo3aMA.gif

BXOMHZw.gif

z8etjli.png

dB7gRv5.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
More loading /unloading vertically.. Great example of not losing (dumping) the barrel but keeping it inside the body.

BbJrGNk.gif

xauXLEK.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yes. It’s about capturing/trapping/filtering the energy and bringing it back up the body to the hands and bat.

what makes this loading so successful is the body has an opportunity to capture every bit of created energy and use it w little compensation that would hinder posture, direction, adjustability.

one by one the gurus are starting to agree . ‘Down to to be up through’.

the trick is learning what muscles are active and which are not in order to ‘stay straight’ and vertical.

Where did this little girl find the power to launch this ball deep to the outfield?

1614951557184.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802