Loading Vertically

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I don't see it but I will take your word for it..

Is this like one of those ""If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" sort of deals...? ;)

IMO you wouldn't see the "down to" result if one isn't loading/unloading within the s-plane.

ahNkvnR.gif

Jun 8, 2016
IMO you wouldn't see the "down to" result if one isn't loading/unloading within the s-plane.

ahNkvnR.gif
He gets FYB with good posture, does that not by itself lend itself to down to up through? The sort of actions that lead to that are driven by setup imo.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Personally I think this is the best way to go with young kids. As they get older and develop more body awareness they can naturally evolve into setups which may require more "dramatic" up front actions....🤷‍♂️

now trap the energy that is created at gather, keep it inside the body.. and you unload in the s-plane. #noleaks

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
He gets FYB with good posture, does that not by itself lend itself to down to up through? The sort of actions that lead to that are driven by setup imo.

not when you TTB or are told to rotate your hips or told to turn on it or anything that violates the vert load or are anywhere w your energy but down to.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

I agree he gets fyb with good posture but don't know if that can be done without good loading within the s-plane.. I agree 100% UFA's sets it all up.

Jun 8, 2016
I agree he gets fyb with good posture but don't know if that can be done without good loading within the s-plane.. I agree 100% UFA's sets it all up.
What I am saying is, is if work your way back from the fyb with good posture, the actions that got you there will be dictated by how you start. You look at Betts and Trout and they start very vertical and hence you see a lot of S-plane action. Hank on the otherhand already starts in good (hitting) posture and if there is any S-plane loading it is very minimal compared to Betts/Trout.

Now there could be an argument made that the muscles work better at firing at launch (from FYB with good posture) when they they go through a fairly large S-plane action beforehand because of the way muscles work (e.g. the "history" of how they are loaded matters). I don't know the answer to that. Most of the guys you posted bear that out. On the otherhand you have a guy with the 2nd most career HRs who doesn't really comply with that argument.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802