Load/Stride

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
I'm sure this probably has been covered before. I did do a small search on this forum. My question is- Is the load and stride happen together or separate? Because I think me (Noob), have always taught my daughter wrong. As in load "back" and then stride. So to her it means literally go back first then stride. In doing so she really never gets her weight transferred. Because to her everything stays completely back.

Jun 8, 2016
Agree with Eric. To add to that in a non-technical manner, a good swing should "flow" it shouldn't look segmented. I know people use Miggy and Bonds for models but I am a Sox fan so here is Betts to see what I am referring to :cool: He also has
a fairly big move forward (stride) so it is a bit easier to pick out what Eric was talking about. Notice his hands don't actually move back in space as he is moving forward (striding) and may even go a bit forward but with respect to his back hip he is creating "separation"

WriliDO.gif

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Something to watch out for...On the pull-back with the hands, it should be movement generated by the scap pulling back (like drawing back a bow), not a push rearward by straightening the lead arm (arm bar). The hands should stay fairly close to the rear shoulder.

Oct 2, 2017
I watched the video. It was very informative. I will definitely keep that one handy. I realize that it was my incorrect understanding of the order in which the mechanics happen. So I was teaching my daughter an all back, all forward mechanic. I'm not a hitting coach, cant afford lessons, but trying to do my research and learning to pass along to her. I even perform the movements my self to get a better understanding of it.

I have to say you all have been a great help. And this was just my second time posting here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802