Load/Stride

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
just get a handle on it

I see many kids that have been instructed to "load up" and have hindered their progress through that instruction and/or their interpretation of that instruction. Highly suggest that folks doling out such advice study up a bit more and verify what they are doling out via swinging a bat.

Oct 2, 2017
I see many kids that have been instructed to "load up" and have hindered their progress through that instruction and/or their interpretation of that instruction. Highly suggest that folks doling out such advice study up a bit more and verify what they are doling out via swinging a bat.
I agree with what your saying here. That's the whole reason why I started this thread. Because I had a misunderstanding of how the load works. I was teaching my daughter a all back all forward (stride) sequence. Which is not correct.

Now what I don't agree with you, is just saying to someone, especially one seeking to understand it is "get a handle on it." I'm sure you are aware that going out and reading and watching video on the topic of the load is pretty daunting. There are tons of opinions on what it is and what it is not. Which can cause a lot of false information and understanding, me case in point. That is why I asked what do you think it is? Just saying "get a handle on it" is of no value for one seeking a better understanding.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I agree with what your saying here. That's the whole reason why I started this thread. Because I had a misunderstanding of how the load works. I was teaching my daughter a all back all forward (stride) sequence. Which is not correct.

Now what I don't agree with you, is just saying to someone, especially one seeking to understand it is "get a handle on it." I'm sure you are aware that going out and reading and watching video on the topic of the load is pretty daunting. There are tons of opinions on what it is and what it is not. Which can cause a lot of false information and understanding, me case in point. That is why I asked what do you think it is? Just saying "get a handle on it" is of no value for one seeking a better understanding.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

Clem ... I routinely see people instructing hitters to 'load up' that really should get a handle on what they are instructing. While you may claim ignorance due to being semi-new ... others are ignorant and have been instructing hitters to 'load up' for many years.

Knowing that you should get a handle on what you are instructing is helpful ... ... ... and hopefully you will do just that ... and I wish many others would do the same.

On page-66 of thread ... https://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/34485-latest-guru-twitter-66.html ... I asked Mudders Brudder the same question ... MB is well seasoned ... consider reading forward from that post and see if you can 'get a handle' on the topic.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Babe:
Full Swing:
baberuth_nodupes.gif

Coiling:
baberuth_nodupes_FbC.gif

Loading:
baberuth_nodupes_Transition2.gif

Launching:
baberuth_nodupes_SnF.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Just an opinion mind you ...

A relatively easy way to teach/instruct the swing is to begin by getting a handle on the main-engine of the swing ... the torso/hip-engine. Understand the notion of the torso rotating up and out. Perhaps the over exaggeration below will help.

From here I back track and help a hitter learn to "prepare to use their main-engine to pull" in this manner. With an understanding of preparing the "torso to pull" it is much easier for young developing hitters to bypass the confusion of "loading up" ... because for many the feeling of "loading" is not a "loading".

With an understanding of going forward while the torso is preparing to pull, and an understanding of the torso-engine initiating 'swing launch' with an action akin to rotating up and out, I move on to teaching the concept of 'short hands'. It may seem overly simple ... but it is quite productive.

Rdb_Posted_Drill.gif

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog