LL World Series outfield play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
My town did not have enough 10U players to make an All star team. So my dd was asked to be on our 11U All star team. We have 3 12U teams (34 or 35 girls total). We did not have enough good 12 yo to have a 12U all star team.
not to go off on a tangent, but this sounds odd. I would have thought that 12U AS would be first priority, but it seems 11U AS was (otherwise a lot of these girls could have played on 12U)? then you might also have had enough 8-10s to make a 10U AS team. I smell politics, who'd a thunk it ;)

Sep 19, 2018
not to go off on a tangent, but this sounds odd. I would have thought that 12U AS would be first priority, but it seems 11U AS was (otherwise a lot of these girls could have played on 12U)? then you might also have had enough 8-10s to make a 10U AS team. I smell politics, who'd a thunk it ;)

We had 2 10U teams (24 girls total). I managed the 'good one' and had 4 girls that could have a catch. The other team had 3. With that I asked all my parents who would make the 5 week commitment into summer to be on the all star team (2 weeks of practice 3 days a week. LL tournament, 1 week of practice, local tournament). I had 3 parents willing to make the commitment. So we could not field a 10U Team.

For 12U, yes there was a little politics. We only had 2 12 yo that were all star worthy. The rest were 11 and 10. So it was decided to skip the 12U tourney and play in 11. We would not have gotten out of the county if we played 12U. We won the 11yo state.

PS the 2 12yo girls that deserved being an all star were teamed up with another town also short on all stars. So they still got to play.

May 6, 2015
PS the 2 12yo girls that deserved being an all star were teamed up with another town also short on all stars. So they still got to play.

not to be a downer, but how so? this seems to go against several LL rules? (btw, I am glad that they got to play though)

Jul 2, 2013
not to be a downer, but how so? this seems to go against several LL rules? (btw, I am glad that they got to play though)

I think the rules have more to do with Little League district or region than town.

We don't have LL softball in our area but we do have LL baseball. The towns are very small and we create an all star team from towns throughout our league. This all star team then goes on to compete in LL regionals, state, and so on.

Sep 19, 2018

I don't know. When we realized that we could not field a 10U team, the head of our org asked me if I'd like for him to call the other towns and see if there were spots for my dd. My dd is really shy and said, "No way Dad!" So we politely declined. She was lucky that she got asked to play up.

But apparently it is somehow OK?

Jul 2, 2013
As far as play is concerned, I agree that outfield play was lacking. I'd argue that infield left some things to be desired too. I may be biased because I spent the last two years watching 14a ball and these girls are only 12.

I also saw some bad baserunning issues but I blame that on coaching.

May 6, 2015
I think the rules have more to do with Little League district or region than town.

We don't have LL softball in our area but we do have LL baseball. The towns are very small and we create an all star team from towns throughout our league. This all star team then goes on to compete in LL regionals, state, and so on.

weird, I am a few years removed from LL, but my understanding was that an AS team for LL could only be made up of players from that leauge (several leagues make up districts, several districts make up regions, then state).

in any event, glad it worked out for your DD.

Jul 13, 2019
I think there are a lot of possible reasons, some of which have already been pointed out. The games that i watched the other day there was a high sky and there were about three balls misplayed because of the sun. Last night I watched a game and one of the teams had the RF playing real shallow and the ball got over his head pretty easily, but i think that was a matter of bad positioning, rather than a lack of skill.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802