LL World Series outfield play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I watched a little bit of the LL WS. It appeared that the infields were solid. However, the OF looked weak defensively. Is this because of lack of talent or coaching? Or is it because the OFs are IFs on their summer teams, and have had very little coaching in the OF?

Jun 11, 2013
Part of it is likely having IF's trying to play OF, but also Little League requires everyone play so you tend to sub out the RF instead of the SS.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Part of it is likely having IF's trying to play OF, but also Little League requires everyone play so you tend to sub out the RF instead of the SS.

Yes, LL does have a mandatory play requirement, but I'm sure the RFs who routinely get subbed out during regular season play are not the RFs on these tournament teams. These teams are pretty much made up of pitchers, infielders, and catchers for their respective regular season teams.

Jun 8, 2016
Didn't watch so what is your definition of bad? Not able to catch a fly ball right to them and/or couldn't go back on a ball correctly or something a bit more advanced like taking the correct angles to cutoff balls in the gap, using proper footwork to throw on the run,etc? By 12 or 13 years old, I don't care whether you are an IF or OF, you should be able to at least catch fly balls.

May 17, 2012
Didn't watch so what is your definition of bad? Not able to catch a fly ball right to them and/or couldn't go back on a ball correctly or something a bit more advanced like taking the correct angles to cutoff balls in the gap, using proper footwork to throw on the run,etc? By 12 or 13 years old, I don't care whether you are an IF or OF, you should be able to at least catch fly balls.

They relays were terrible from what I saw. Throwing when and where you shouldn't was a common theme. It was odd even for their age.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
They relays were terrible from what I saw. Throwing when and where you shouldn't was a common theme. It was odd even for their age.

Don't forget you're talking about kids their age playing in the LLWS in Williamsport in large (compared to what they're used to) stadiums with much bigger crowds. There could be a touch of nervous energy that is affecting their play as well.

Nov 17, 2017
I have the championship game recorded.... I'll re-watch but, I wish we had examples of "bad play" on tape - I'd love to show my team and my DD who plays outfield....

Apr 28, 2014

Now wait one minute!
For all these years we were told that once the girls can hit that OF isn't a place where we hide kids..lol. :)

Sep 19, 2018
I can only speak to my experience which is limited. My dd is first year 10U. But, I'd say yes, a little bit of all of it. I'd add in time as well. Our All stars only get 2 weeks of practice as a team before the tournaments begin. My town did not have enough 10U players to make an All star team. So my dd was asked to be on our 11U All star team. We have 3 12U teams (34 or 35 girls total). We did not have enough good 12 yo to have a 12U all star team.

7 of the 12 girls on All stars played Travel as well as LL. Our CF played outfield in travel, but during little league spent most of her time in the infield. Our left fielder did not play travel and was her LL teams number one pitchers. She did play some outfield in LL as when she was not pitching, there were lots of balls to the outfield. Our RF (my DD) pitches and plays infield. Only 1 of the 3 backups played outfield at all before the All-stars.

Lots to learn in a short time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom