Livestreaming - video rewind?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2016
Great. LTE, is there a monthly charge??. i would prefer that for the stable signal.

I'm assuming LTE is mobile phone data plan.

Unlimited plans stream all day.

But different ball parks different reception on phone......

Sometimes streaming is iffy depending on your phone carrier and nearest cell tower.

Dual recording to an SD Micro card saves the game film which you can save to your laptop and upload at your convenience or not.

While Mevo Plus is streaming to an you tube account.......a tablet/ phone with data could access the channel and players could theoretically look at their swing, pitching, catch, plays, and or wipe outs....and figure out what, why and how.

My buddy said he got shut out of you tube with his MevoPlus so not sure what is going on but I am gearing up for fall season ball streaming myself.

Jul 31, 2019
Thanks for all the replies and discussion. Youtube w MevoPlus, uggh on getting shut out. Will research more before purchasing.

In the meantime, for those of you FB Livestreaming, how do you rewind while still livestreaming.??? Spent all day at practice yesterday trying to figure it out. Googled everywhere, apparently many articles that FB now supports it. But can not figure it out (thought it would be simple). Livestreaming w an Iphone, and trying to view on a different iphone or ipad....

Apr 25, 2019
I'm assuming LTE is mobile phone data plan.

Unlimited plans stream all day.

But different ball parks different reception on phone......

Sometimes streaming is iffy depending on your phone carrier and nearest cell tower.

Dual recording to an SD Micro card saves the game film which you can save to your laptop and upload at your convenience or not.

While Mevo Plus is streaming to an you tube account.......a tablet/ phone with data could access the channel and players could theoretically look at their swing, pitching, catch, plays, and or wipe outs....and figure out what, why and how.

My buddy said he got shut out of you tube with his MevoPlus so not sure what is going on but I am gearing up for fall season ball streaming myself.

Dual recording? On Facebook and to a memory card?

Jan 31, 2015
Yes, we usually live stream to Twitter, and then later my daughter chops up her highlight reel and posts to her youtube channel to send out to the college coaches.

The problem with YouTube is that as of last year, you have to have at least 1000 followers to live stream to a mobile device (cell phone). But this is not the case for devices like the Mevo.

Jan 31, 2015
Yes. In general, the only problem is when you are either at a remote tournament where there's not great cell tower service, or you're at an extremely popular tournament where there's tons of users sharing the same cell tower bandwidth streaming 4K. Both cases have caused intermittent streaming issues, but the video still gets captured on the micro-SD card for later review and/or publishing.

Thanks, ive been reading a lot about the Mevo Plus. did you use a hotspot to connect camera?

Jan 31, 2015
Correct. Someone else watching the live Twitter/Periscope feed can rewind, but the Mevo must continue to broadcast live.

correct me if I'm wrong but i believe you can use a second party watching the live stream to rewind and review but not on the primary device that is filming the live stream. instant replay kind of takes away from live streaming. Our team uses facebook live

Jan 31, 2015
FWIW, it's been my experience that the local cell tower bandwidth limitations are the long-pole in the tent regardless of using LTE directly or via wifi hotspot.

The Mevo Plus can broadcast via WiFi or LTE. I've found more than once that I get more bandwidth (resulting in a more stable signal) broadcasting via LTE, rather than a mobile WiFi hotspot.

Nov 18, 2015
TL/DR: If connection is bogging down, find someone with a different service provider (Verizon vs. Sprint vs. AT&T vs. TMobile)

It's been several years since I was in the cellular industry, so I'm open to correction - but here's my understanding that may help others with the terminology and offer a possible solution (re: vicimus's above comment).

At a basic level, cellular signals (3G / 4G / LTE / or really old-school terms like CDMA and GSM) are set to a specific range of frequencies. Each carrier (Verzion, TMobile, AT&T) gets a license from the FCC to broadcast in a certain area over a specific range of frequencies (think lanes on a highway). "Roaming" is when you go outside your carriers area, and you have to pay a toll to use someone else's road in order to receive a signal.

When you see multiple sets of antennas on a tower, this usually means there's more than one carrier using that tower (VZ in lane 1, freq A-C; ATT in lane 2, freq D-F, etc.). Each tower is the center of it's own "cell". In rural areas, lanes are much less congested, so towers can be farther apart, which means the cells are bigger. The more people expected, the more towers - smaller cells, to provide more travel lanes.

WiFi is similar in concept, but uses a "hotspot" (smaller radio and antenna) instead of a tower (usually). Frequencies are assigned/fixed to the technology used (802.11g/n/etc.), and not a carrier. It's more of a free-for-all, with each device (or hotspot) responsible for finding a clear lane (or sharing one) to transmit. Due to several reasons (distance, bandwidth, etc.), WiFi is faster than cellular (faster = can send more data [i.e. bigger lane]). Ideally, your WiFi access point (like the one in your home) connects directly to the internet (DSL, fiber optic cable, coax, etc.). So you go from a 2-lane hwy to a major interstate.

HOWEVER (yes, finally - the point of this post!) - you're only as fast as your slowest connection. WiFi is great at home / school / work / Starbucks. But where does that super-fast WiFi signal connect to when you're at the local sportsplex 2 miles outside town? You guessed it - your phone. So rather than going from 2 lanes to 6, your signal goes from 2 lanes to something more like a country road, or maybe even that road you take to Grandma's with the sign "end of state maintenance ahead".

If you're in a fairly rural area, your options are limited - there may only be a single service provider (Frontier Communications) that has agreed to share its road with VZ, ATT, Sprint, etc (1 lane, 3 cars). If you're in a more populated area, you may actually have better luck asking around to see if anyone has a non-VZ/ATT provider. If all the VZ users are bogging down the only cell tower in the area, a parents phone on the Sprint network might still reach the same tower, but if they get their own set of antennas to use, you may find it will offer you a faster, or just more reliable, connection (HOV lanes - woo hoo!).

Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802