Livestreaming setups?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 26, 2018
What are people using for livestreaming? I see a lot more setups these days.

• Cameras: @Eric F convinced me to get a Mevo, and I have not been disappointed. Still trying to find a good phone app for when I want to travel light. Is anyone using HERO8?
  • Services: I stream to YouTube, which is great because the DVR functionality lets you re-watch a play from the sideline. But it's annoying because the DVR stops whenever your camera has a hiccup.
  • Hardware: Hard to go wrong with Lynkspyder (thanks @Josh Greer), especially when camera is in foul tip territory.

Interested in hearing what folks are doing. I'm trying to help friends outfit their teams, so ease of use is important.

And... for those who are recording games but haven't used live-streaming -- it's way better than wrestling with SD cards!

Ben

May 24, 2013
So Cal

• Cameras: @Eric F convinced me to get a Mevo, and I have not been disappointed. Still trying to find a good phone app for when I want to travel light. Is anyone using HERO8?
  • Services: I stream to YouTube, which is great because the DVR functionality lets you re-watch a play from the sideline. But it's annoying because the DVR stops whenever your camera has a hiccup.
  • Hardware: Hard to go wrong with Lynkspyder (thanks @Josh Greer), especially when camera is in foul tip territory.

Interested in hearing what folks are doing. I'm trying to help friends outfit their teams, so ease of use is important.

And... for those who are recording games but haven't used live-streaming -- it's way better than wrestling with SD cards!

Ben

Glad to hear you like the Mevo. I'm still liking mine quite a lot. My only battle is the stability of live-stream due to internet connection speeds.

I still record to SD even if I'm live-streaming for use in clipping out highlight video segments.

Mar 1, 2018
Central Indiana

Ben

I use Periscope, an iPhone, and case that has an added lens on it to open up the field of view and get the whole field ($30 on amazon). Simple to set up, simple for parents to get to, and you can go back and watch full games. Not super HD, but does the trick and doesn't eat a lot of data.

I use a fence clip mini, which is great. Modified with a little swing arm and phone holder.

Here's a link to one of the clips I recorded with it.
https://www.pscp.tv/w/cSP3sTFlV0V5T...fp59d54DQ0fJWcH1M0ZfpwAOLwUYFYVMr8?t=1h16m17s

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Probably not a surprise to anyone, but live streaming is certainly the rage this season. We've seen an uptick if about 40% in smartphone clamps over this time the last year. Many people doing iPhone 11's with the new cameras. But the Mevo cameras are certainly the best solution we have tested. We find more stability in stream using a hotspot over phone connection. This also reduces the demand on the phone for those who also like to use iScore or GameChanger.

Aug 3, 2016
Looks like Mevo is coming out with a new camera, the Mevo Start. Any initial thoughts based on the posted specs. Looks like a cheaper alternative to the Mevo Plus but limited to 1080p which is ok for streaming.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Looks like Mevo is coming out with a new camera, the Mevo Start. Any initial thoughts based on the posted specs. Looks like a cheaper alternative to the Mevo Plus but limited to 1080p which is ok for streaming.

We have on on pre-order and will be giving it a shot.

The biggest concern I have is the very limited Field Of View, from 150 degrees on the MEVO Plus to 84 on the Mevo Start. That will limit a lot of ball fields; specifically the smaller ones. But what is most interesting is the future capability of streaming multiple cameras. Would be a lot to manage, but you could point a camera at the action to, very much pun intended, cover all of the bases.

The limited resolution also means that zooming into the action will reduce overall quality.

But keeping in mind that Mevo's goal was to reduce price and add extended recording time (battery life), these changes make sense. Will have to just see the end product in action.

Aug 3, 2016
The field of view was my main concern also. Was thinking of emailing them to see what they have to say. Looking forward to hearing your review. May need to fab an adaptor to make it work with the LinkSpyder.

Apr 20, 2015
It's my understanding that the new mevo will not be fully water resistant and will not connect to boost...it will also not get more than 1 game on a charge so I think the plus with boost is still the way to go. Looking forward to your review.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jul 9, 2016
It's my understanding that the new mevo will not be fully water resistant and will not connect to boost...it will also not get more than 1 game on a charge so I think the plus with boost is still the way to go. Looking forward to your review.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Not sure Boost is necessary.

Battery packs that plug into Mevo while using Lynkspyder may work better than a Boost.

Jul 9, 2016
We have on on pre-order and will be giving it a shot.
But what is most interesting is the future capability of streaming multiple cameras. Would be a lot to manage, but you could point a camera at the action to, very much pun intended, cover all of the bases.

Very interesting.....

Getting parents complaining how come my daughter in center field isn't being recorded?

May need 10 cameras..........to cover all the bases and sidelines....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101