Livestreaming setups?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 26, 2018
Ouch... 84 degree FOV is terrible. Guess it's the MEVO Plus then. Now if Mevo Start can provide picture-in-picture with the Plus...

In the "don't do this at home" category, here's this past weekend's streaming setup after I accidentally left my Mevo and mounting bracket at home. Friend's iPhone X, attached via velcro ankle brace and resistance band. A step up from day 1, which involved using trainer tape.
creative fence attachment.png

This is where the iPhone's limited FOV prevented a proper field view. If my mounting solution only had a ball mount :) . But I have to say that the iPhone's superior optics made more vibrant video. Here's the captured video:

Jul 9, 2016
Ben99, I must of missed a few posts of yours.
How are you able to get IScore live into your Broadcast?
Is this available with Game Changer?
Iphone video looks good. And sound is clear.

Apr 20, 2015
Not sure Boost is necessary.

Battery packs that plug into Mevo while using Lynkspyder may work better than a Boost.
We have done this but the bottom of the mevo isn't water resistant without the boost plugged into it per the manufacturer and the boost lasts me through 3 to 4 games in the day so it's easier for me than multiple battery backs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mar 7, 2016
Glad to hear you like the Mevo. I'm still liking mine quite a lot. My only battle is the stability of live-stream due to internet connection speeds.

I still record to SD even if I'm live-streaming for use in clipping out highlight video segments.

which wide angle clip on lense are you using? Researching options right now what to go with this year. The old video you have on hear from the iphone is pretty clear.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
which wide angle clip on lense are you using? Researching options right now what to go with this year. The old video you have on hear from the iphone is pretty clear.

When I was using an old iPhone for streaming, it was just a cheap $15 lens I got from Amazon. It worked fine. Be aware that most of the older video posted here was from either my iPhone (side shots, no additional lens used), or a GoPro.

Mar 7, 2016
When I was using an old iPhone for streaming, it was just a cheap $15 lens I got from Amazon. It worked fine. Be aware that most of the older video posted here was from either my iPhone (side shots, no additional lens used), or a GoPro.

so what is your opinion so far? Ive been researching everything from go pro, to MEVO, to just using a phone. Being in Kansas %75 of our tournaments are hot as hell. So heat is an issue. Looking to do both recording to SD to cut later, and live streaming to FB live or youtube (not even close to 1k followers)
I never use my phone during games coaching so trying to justify dropping $300 on something else at this point. Any downside clarity wise to using a phone?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
We have on on pre-order and will be giving it a shot.

The biggest concern I have is the very limited Field Of View, from 150 degrees on the MEVO Plus to 84 on the Mevo Start. That will limit a lot of ball fields; specifically the smaller ones. But what is most interesting is the future capability of streaming multiple cameras. Would be a lot to manage, but you could point a camera at the action to, very much pun intended, cover all of the bases.

The limited resolution also means that zooming into the action will reduce overall quality.

But keeping in mind that Mevo's goal was to reduce price and add extended recording time (battery life), these changes make sense. Will have to just see the end product in action.

It's my understanding that the new mevo will not be fully water resistant and will not connect to boost...it will also not get more than 1 game on a charge so I think the plus with boost is still the way to go. Looking forward to your review.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I had a conversation with "Joe Mevo" (not sure if that's his real name) on the Mevo FB page about Start vs. Plus for baseball/softball applications. Here's a few things I learned about the Start...

- 6 hour (claimed) battery life with internal battery, eliminating (theoretically) the need for external battery/Boost.
- Not weather resistant, but neither is the Plus, unless you are using it with a Boost. Boost covers the external USB port.
- 84 degree FOV will be limiting for most of the ballparks where our kids play. Start is best used in a multi-camera system.
- Mevo still recommends the Plus for single-camera applications for baseball/softball due to the wider FOV.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
so what is your opinion so far? Ive been researching everything from go pro, to MEVO, to just using a phone. Being in Kansas %75 of our tournaments are hot as hell. So heat is an issue. Looking to do both recording to SD to cut later, and live streaming to FB live or youtube (not even close to 1k followers)
I never use my phone during games coaching so trying to justify dropping $300 on something else at this point. Any downside clarity wise to using a phone?

I like my Mevo Plus a lot. More than a few times, I've watched GoPro users get very frustrated with their cameras shutting down in the heat. I have not yet had that issue with the Mevo.

You don't need 1000 followers to stream to YouTube with a Mevo.

I bought my Mevo Plus and Boost on eBay for about 1/2 of retail. I then sold the Boost after I realized I prefer using a battery pack in a pouch.

The simple and cheap option for streaming to FB is a mobile phone, but it's lacking the recording to SD capability. Livestream clarity will be based more on connection speed than lens quality. SD clarity will be based more on recording resolution than lens quality, especially for anything you want to crop/zoom.

Mar 7, 2016
I like my Mevo Plus a lot. More than a few times, I've watched GoPro users get very frustrated with their cameras shutting down in the heat. I have not yet had that issue with the Mevo.

You don't need 1000 followers to stream to YouTube with a Mevo.

I bought my Mevo Plus and Boost on eBay for about 1/2 of retail. I then sold the Boost after I realized I prefer using a battery pack in a pouch.

The simple and cheap option for streaming to FB is a mobile phone, but it's lacking the recording to SD capability. Livestream clarity will be based more on connection speed than lens quality. SD clarity will be based more on recording resolution than lens quality, especially for anything you want to crop/zoom.

YOu can save a FB live recording to your computer before it is posted. I was planning to do the same with the ext battery as their options seems like a WAY overpriced ext battery. I own a 20,000 anker already.

I know the published specs of both but what is your opinion on resolution between the two? MEVO and Phone. Always such a broad topic that varies based on a product and what you actually see.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28