Live Stream Plunge

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MoC

Jun 5, 2019
I live stream with the mevo and do commentary with headphones on my galaxy. The view is fantastic and the sound quality is great. I can quickly turn it off between innings. I also have the capability to add a logo and update the score after each inning for the viewers at home. Folks at home can type a comment to ask a question it's fantastic. The battery pack easily lasts all day no problem. We've been nothing but pleased as we learned how to use the system.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
That sounds like a great setup. Thanks!

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Well I tried live streaming this weekend with my setup ( lynkspyder, GoPro hero 5 black set to 1080p, 60fps, Easyacc battery, LIVE4 to stream to my Facebook group via iPhone as a hot spot) Here are my observations:

- Had a tough time trying to remove the Fence from view trying all FOV settings.
- Live stream worked as per feedback by some Facebook users that were subscribed to the FB group. It cut out every once in a while and was delayed from live action about 20 seconds
- intermittently LIVE4 would stop streaming
- sometimes the GoPro would stop recording. I am wondering if this occurs due to the GoPro being so hot and it is sending that data thru my iPhone...
- at one point the camera stopped working and I could not see anything. I think it might be heat related.
- LIVE4 was kind of neat as it allowed viewers to add comments that I would see within the LIVE4 app on my iPhone
- in order to Live stream, LIVE4 needed to be the focused app on my iPhone. If I switched focus off of LIVE4, a message was displayed that indicates the stream would stop in 175 seconds. That was a bit of a inconvenience as at times I had to restart the recording and in doing so generated a new file.

Based on this, I think I am going to try recording at a lower resolution and possibly 30fps. Also going to scale back to stream less games but record all of them.

Well those are my observations at this point.

I hope it is ok to continue this thread as I realize this is a site dedicated to fastpitch. This subject is related but starting to get away from the game itself.

MoC

2 quick items:

1.) If you get fence in the shot with Medium or narrower FOV, getting the camera closer to the fence is the only solution (unless the fence openings are smaller than standard fencing). If you have one of those plastic tripod mounts that "lean", make sure it leans towards the fence (sorry for not knowing...it is hard putting forum names to order names).

2.) I don't think switching to 30fps will help the heat issue. If you want to experiment, record for 5 minutes at 60 and 5 minutes at 30. You will note that the file size is the same....certainly the amount of time it estimates will fit on the camera does not change. This tells me that 60fps is the native resolution. It probably blends to frames together to get 30 frames. So I don't know that it will help you.

Ultimately, the issue is that GoPro WiFi (really WiFi in general) will always cause heat. Heat kills electronics. It generally is a combination of things that pushes the camera over the edge. So making sure you have a quality SD card (usually 64GB or less) and that you are using external power that is not charging the internal battery. To ensure this happens, always plug in and turn on the external power source before turning the GoPro on.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I have been taking my battery out and just using the external battery on my GP Hero5. I dont feel like it has nearly as much heat. I am not trying to broadcast. I use the WiFi for remote control.

MoC

Jun 5, 2019
2 quick items:

1.) If you get fence in the shot with Medium or narrower FOV, getting the camera closer to the fence is the only solution (unless the fence openings are smaller than standard fencing). If you have one of those plastic tripod mounts that "lean", make sure it leans towards the fence (sorry for not knowing...it is hard putting forum names to order names).

2.) I don't think switching to 30fps will help the heat issue. If you want to experiment, record for 5 minutes at 60 and 5 minutes at 30. You will note that the file size is the same....certainly the amount of time it estimates will fit on the camera does not change. This tells me that 60fps is the native resolution. It probably blends to frames together to get 30 frames. So I don't know that it will help you.

Ultimately, the issue is that GoPro WiFi (really WiFi in general) will always cause heat. Heat kills electronics. It generally is a combination of things that pushes the camera over the edge. So making sure you have a quality SD card (usually 64GB or less) and that you are using external power that is not charging the internal battery. To ensure this happens, always plug in and turn on the external power source before turning the GoPro on.
Hi Josh,

I am actually using that camera mount that leans in (don’t know the name either :)).It is my first weekend using the setup so I think I just need to get better at mounting it. Your mounting video did help make it quicker. Thanks!

I think I will use the GoPro to strictly record and use an iPad mini to stream thru Periscope. I was playing with it yesterday based on great suggestions on this thread. Periscope looked rather straight forward.

Anyone have chain link mounting suggestions for an IPad mini?
Thanks

Mar 1, 2018
Central Indiana
JayIndy,
Thanks for a break down of your setup. That is great! What are you using to edit the GoPro recording?

Thanks!
For editing I just use the GoPro Studio program. I use an older version of it, back before they combined the studio and quik programs. It does everything I need to make highlights like the ones below.

Mar 1, 2018
Central Indiana
Hi Josh,

I am actually using that camera mount that leans in (don’t know the name either :)).It is my first weekend using the setup so I think I just need to get better at mounting it. Your mounting video did help make it quicker. Thanks!

I think I will use the GoPro to strictly record and use an iPad mini to stream thru Periscope. I was playing with it yesterday based on great suggestions on this thread. Periscope looked rather straight forward.

Anyone have chain link mounting suggestions for an IPad mini?
Thanks
I use a selfie stick (for the telescoping ability) with a camera mount screwed in the top. Then I took a rake holder, flipped it upside down and taped to the pole. that way its easy to hang, stays in place, and can reach up high. Any kind of tripod mount would work for the mini.

Attachments

• Camera Mount Single.jpg
    Camera Mount Single.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: MoC
Feb 26, 2018
For those who give live commentary or have separate mics, would you be willing to share a link to a video?

I have never considered doing that with my setup but am up for trying it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MoC

Jun 5, 2019
For those who give live commentary or have separate mics, would you be willing to share a link to a video?

Ben,

I will send you a link to

Ben,

Here is a link to one of our streams.

Start at 19:20 into the stream. You will hear commentary and eventually a picture in picture screen.

Let me know if you have any questions.

MoC

Feb 26, 2018
Thanks @MoC for sharing - the PIP feature of LIVE4 looks really interesting and can really make a game come alive!
And @JayIndy, those highlight vids look incredible.

I've never tried live-streaming, but have been experimenting with overlays of game data. Giving ESPN a run for it's money...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee