Live pitching practices VS bullpens/lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
They are 10, guide keeping it moving along. Once a week doing live pitching is probably not going to be bad for development. Would not treat one pitcher differently than the other two.

Move practice along by putting a bucket of softballs next to the pitcher, no need to have the catcher throwing back, just grab a ball and Pitch it.
5 per batter
Next..........
Keep rotating.
Rad, if I was going to do this, this is exactly how I would do it.

I would have to have 3-4 practices a week to get around to it though.

May 13, 2023
There are too many things a kid that age needs to learn than standing around waiting for a ball to be hit by them, waiting to have the same situation accidentally happen twice so it can be reinforced. (And wain’t for it to randomly happen 6 more times so they will actually remember it.)
I agree there are other things they can be doing but to the Opie's post and coaches being split on whether or not it's beneficial I'm simply sharing it's not going to hurt. Adding this to hitting stations is not going to hurt.

Let me add this then...
Having the rest of the team standing around shagging is not part of the plan I proposed. Waste of time standing when can be active doing other stations.

One bucket of softballs and those batters can go run and pick up their hits, there will be some that are just at the back stop. and bring them in and then the groups can rotate to other hitting stations. Or just have a smaller group out there shagging. Time to hustle and run for the ball.
As to be doing other things, think a lot of times the *beginning of a 10U team is multiple weeks of just making sure they can catch and throw correctly. And a few weeks of learning at least a basic Foundation of hitting. Not getting into anything else other than having a good swing and Hitting off a tee. Very basic Foundation. Then incorporate soft toss. Then incorporate Hitting off live pitching.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Out of curiosity, why do some of you think that you have to have a defense on the field when the pitcher is throwing live? Why do some of you think that you have to have, what amounts to a team, hitting? A pitcher throwing live needs a few hitters and a catcher. They need to face hitters period.

May 21, 2023
I agree there are other things they can be doing but to the Opie's post and coaches being split on whether or not it's beneficial I'm simply sharing it's not going to hurt. Adding this to hitting stations is not going to hurt.

Let me add this then...
Having the rest of the team standing around shagging is not part of the plan I proposed. Waste of time standing when can be active doing other stations.

One bucket of softballs and those batters can go run and pick up their hits, there will be some that are just at the back stop. and bring them in and then the groups can rotate to other hitting stations. Or just have a smaller group out there shagging. Time to hustle and run for the ball.
As to be doing other things, think a lot of times the *beginning of a 10U team is multiple weeks of just making sure they can catch and throw correctly. And a few weeks of learning at least a basic Foundation of hitting. Not getting into anything else other than having a good swing and Hitting off a tee. Very basic Foundation. Then incorporate soft toss. Then incorporate Hitting off live pitching.
I never asked if it was beneficial.. I actually acknowledged that it is beneficial and said we do live practices at least once a week. My issue was that some of the coaches think we should do more live practices compared to bullpens + live practices. Geez

Dec 11, 2010
Out of curiosity, why do some of you think that you have to have a defense on the field when the pitcher is throwing live? Why do some of you think that you have to have, what amounts to a team, hitting? A pitcher throwing live needs a few hitters and a catcher. They need to face hitters period.
Because so often you are practicing on one field with no cage…. It’s all you have. Have had access to some really nice multi field set ups though. I would use my imagination on that deal!

Jun 8, 2016
I never asked if it was beneficial.. I actually acknowledged that it is beneficial and said we do live practices at least once a week. My issue was that some of the coaches think we should do more live practices compared to bullpens + live practices. Geez

Stick around for a while and you will realize people on here read what they want to read 3/4 of the time. Eventually this will devolve into a velocity is king or irrelevant thread where somebody will mention crowhopping and Barnhill just so they can give their highly esteemed opinions on the topics for the 100th time as if the first 99 were not enough.

Just to refresh everbody’s memory (bolded by me…)
Two of our coaches think the answer is to do live practices as much as possible and the other two lean more to bullpens and occasional live (once a week). In my opinion, both serve their purpose but if a kid is throwing 30-40, or even 50% strikes in a bullpen/lesson without the elements of a game, throwing live isn't going to be the difference maker. Curious to hear the thoughts from this board.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
@pattar did I do that? Cause it’s really possible I did, lol!
Do what? I think you actually read the first post since your answer sort of jives with what I think most people on here would agree with. In other words I doubt anybody on here thinks 10u kids practicing probably 3 hours a week should be hitting live as much as possible vs the once a week the OP was suggesting was a good idea. Maybe I am wrong. I have seen P5 OF with noodle arms in the regionals and super regionals because they “throw like girls”..maybe, just maybe they should concentrate on stuff like that and fielding a GB the proper way and just sprinkle in some in some live ABs..call me crazy.

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Illinois
Practice with a full defense and live hitting is probably one of the least beneficial ways to spend your time during team practice at the 10u level.

I would recommend spending more time on groundballs and fielding footwork than any other aspect of the game.

After that focus on throwing and outfield. I will admit, that throwing was one of the most difficult problems to fix, it really takes a ton of time. You should be working on throwing at every practice. Even at the High School level, I would estimate that half of girls on my daughters High School still throw poorly.

You still have to work on base running, bunt defense, pickle or run down plays, cutoffs, etc. What I am saying is live hitting that takes up your entire practice field should be at the bottom of your priority list.

When you are done with those practice scenarios above, do more groundballs, footwork and throwing because i guarantee you at 10u you are lucky if you have two girls that do that stuff correctly on a consistent basis. Please be careful and overdoing the overhand throwing, you can work on groundballs and footwork without throwing.

When you only practice one or two days per week, pitching and hitting need to be done on their own unless you have a batting cage to work in. Just too inefficient to do live pitching and hitting on the only field you have to practice on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802