Little League Rulebook

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Does anyone know where I can get one of these?

I am an "assistant" coach so my local LL didn't give me one (not that they give them to anyone else either)

A couple years ago I tried getting one from their website bu they wouldn't even sell me one.

where can I get one of these preciious books?

Attachments

• tmybook.jpg
    tmybook.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 12

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
As far as I know, the only way to get one is either through the local LL board or you can purchase one.

May 9, 2008
You can buy one from the LL store online. It is $7 plus shipping. Don't know how much that is. Your League can get them for $2 but it sounds like they don't want to spend the money, or they don't want people to know the rules. Shame on them either way.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks!
now that the season is almost over. I finally ordered one!
book cost $7.00, S&H was another $7+.

what a racket.
At least I'll have one so I can get an idea of the differences between LL and ASA.
thanks again!

Sep 3, 2009
Just came across this forum after doing a google search. Why do they make it so difficult to get a copy of the Little League Rules? The LL website says that you must first "register" in order to purchase the rules by calling them. So I call them and the message says that they are away until next week (Sept. 8th), which means that I can't even purchase a set of rules if I wanted to (and I do!).

I'm an assistant coach for a 9-10 yo girls fall-ball town team. I coached in our regular spring/summer season but that was an 8-9 yo farm league and I know that the rules are different. For instance, we didn't have basestealing but we will this fall. I asked one of our board members and they weren't very helpful, for whatever reason.

So I ask, why are these rules protected like they are the Hope Diamond? Why not just allow people to download them for a fee as opposed to requiring this registration process. Now we have our first game on Saturday and we aren't going to be familiar with all of the rules. :confused:

Jan 15, 2009
The reason they want you to register is for many organizations part of your team registration fees pays for a "free" rule book for each team. Sometimes these don't get handed out by the local reps because they forget, or get lazy, or don't have a good opportunity to distribute all at once and don't want to pay postage to mail all individually.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Well I did get mine, $14.00 for the 2009 rulebook after the 2009 season is over.

But why do they protect it like it's the Hope Diamond? My question exactly!

As far as going thru my local LL system...One year I asked the age director and he was going to "drop one off"-never happened. This year it was like "everyone who should have one" already did and the rest were absconded with by one of the senior league coaches.

The thing that really fries me is we are supposed to be coaching these girls and therefore should know the rules. We constantly have coaches and assistant coaches who don't know the rules making a stink and messing up the flow of the game.

9 yo pitcher, first pitch, right down the pipe for a called strike -

"ILLEGAL PITCH! THAT WAS AN ILLEGAL PITCH, SHE CAN"T DO THAT!"

The other coach was an rear and the Umpire was a 13 year old and was intimidated.

He claimed that her front foot was in front of the rubber at the start of her pitch. He insisted that she needed to start with her front foot on the rubber or it was an illegal pitch. I agreed and added that pitchers from both teams needed to do that and have the rear foot touching the rubber as well(ASA rule). Pitcher was my DD and she knew that was the correct way to start but this guy had no clue.

"WHAT? WHAT IS THAT A RULE??!!

Oh yeah. Watch and you'll see that Pros, college or even HS players all start that way.
Turns out I was WRONG because in LL the rule is different than on every other planet!!. But I didn't know that until I got my Rulebook in the mail after the season was over and I could read it for myself.

ANYHOW...I was able to get mine through their website, don't remember if I registered or not. Us4d to be you needed to have a LL franchise No. in order to place your order.

Jan 15, 2009
We play USSSA, ASA, NAFA, and NFHS rule sets and the one that gets me is that in USSSA and NFHS they allow the rockback step (i.e. plant foot can start step behind rubber) Most of our pitchers go April-June taking advantage of rock back step for HS ball and then have to modify for ASA ball June-July and in some instances (USSSA Nationals) go back to the rock back step for just nationals.

Someone needs to write "Interorganizational Rule Comparisons for Dummies"

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28