List of Nursing Friendly Softball College Programs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2020
Also, when looking at nursing programs, make sure the school has a program on campus, which means they have an affiliated hospital nearby. One of the thing we learned is that a lot of schools claim to have nursing programs, but the nursing school is actually somewhere else. Kansas's is in Kansas City. Colorado's is in Denver, Arizona State is an downtown Phoenix, Ole Miss's is in Jackson. If your DD is serious about nursing, make sure she gets clarification of where the nursing school is in relation to the main campus, because schools hide that information.

Jul 3, 2013
One of the issues with nursing programs is that in the 4th and sometimes 3rd year programs have clinical rotations that can't be missed. One of the schools dd visited had nursing majors. I remember the coach telling her they usually only played 2-3 years.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
DD just graduated from a D2 with a four year nursing degree. She played all four years. There was a constant shuffling and juggling of classes and practices. Never had to miss a game, rescheduling clinicals or finding ways to make them up was always an option. I think that it was mostly just good luck in the scheduling process on both the softball and the nursing side.

The only potential conflict to come up was a required covid vaccine shot at a required time and place for students in her cohort (due to vaccine availability, it was early spring 2021). A few emails and phone calls between coach, AD, nursing dept head, and the hospital allowed the two softball girls to get their shots in the morning instead of afternoon, so DD and teammate were able to make the bus. Obviously, this isn't going to be the norm at every school.

Not gonna lie. A nursing degree while playing a sport is crazy hard and super stressful for everyone involved.

May 20, 2015
D III Husson University (ME) - one nursing major on current roster, we know another headed there in fall
D III Univ of Southern Maine - 4 on current roster as nursing majors

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019
Not sure if it has been mentioned but Wilkes University (D-3) in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania has 6 nursing majors on the team for this season.

They also have a number of pharmacy majors as well as neuroscience and biology.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802