Lineup change - when

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 6, 2019
So when do you all change the lineup once a player goes into a hitting slump? After 1 game, 1 day, 1 tournament, 1 month, or never?

DD has always been told if you are having a bad day he will move you down, if your having a good day you move up. She started at the bottom and after a couple weekends of struggling. She was sitting at the 8th position but instead of looking at herself she was comparing herself to others. She thought she should move up. I had to explain to her if she was hitting she wouldnt have to compare and he would have to move her up- so hit.

Starting in May she turned it around and her .avg went from 2.50 to 3.01. June she hit her first out of the park HR and the month of June was hitting .475 and ended the season at 3.33. Also he did gradually move her from 8th to 3rd and her sweet spot was 4/5th. Just was wondering.

Last edited:

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
IMHO you have to determine if DD is hitting in bad luck (line drives right at a defender, hard hit just foul, etc.). If that is the case no need to move her. If you are seeing weak contact or maybe no contact first I'd see if DD may be injured or sick. If that is not the case work with her to simplify elements of the swing. If that does not change the result I would then consider a move but not without an explanation and words of encouragement.

Jul 29, 2016
Depends on the coach. My daughter is streaky with the bat, but the coach for her last travel team pretty much got into a lock-step with his lineup. He would occasionally tinker with the top and bottom of the order, but the 2-3-4-5-6-7 hitters seemed set in stone.

What would've been nice is if he had a conversation with the girls every now and then about what his thought process was. Honestly, I don't think there was much of a thought process at all, so that's why they never had the conversation.

But my daughter is 16U - if she has concerns about this sort of thing, its on her to discuss it with thc coach.

May 6, 2015
I change it all of the time. Try to keep speed together and power together but besides that I move them around alot.

I always liked speed and power intermixed. speed to get on and move to scoring position, power to bring them in. my ideal line up is three groups of three, speed, mixed, power, speed, mixed, power, speed, mixed, power.

Sep 29, 2014
I was always old school speed at the top power in the middle and speed again at the bottom (if you could).

I would move kids around depending sometimes on the hot bat but for the most part never made big changes.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Know your players, and pay attention to trends. IMO, making changes based on one game is foolish. Making changes based on stats alone is foolish.

If our big power hitter in the #3 spot, with one of the highest BAs on the team over the last 2 years, has an 0-for weekend, I'm going to look at why she went 0-for. Knowing her, it was probably just-missed pop-ups, deep fly ball outs, and a couple of screaming grounders to F5 or F6. Next weekend, she will be back in the #3 spot, and will probably put at least one over the fence and bat .500 or better.

If our speedy #2 has obvious timing issues, and isn't making consistently solid contact, I will likely take some of the pressure off by moving her to the bottom half in hopes of her being able to re-find her groove.

Both of these scenarios are affected by what players I have to put in their spots.

May 1, 2018
I was always old school speed at the top power in the middle and speed again at the bottom (if you could).

I would move kids around depending sometimes on the hot bat but for the most part never made big changes.
This is what I do. That way the slower girls don't hold up the speedsters and multiple opportunities to hit them in.

Jul 27, 2015
So when do you all change the lineup once a player goes into a hitting slump? After 1 game, 1 day, 1 tournament, 1 month, or never?

DD has always been told if you are having a bad day he will move you down, if your having a good day you move up. She started at the bottom and after a couple weekends of struggling. She was sitting at the 8th position but instead of looking at herself she was comparing herself to others. She thought she should move up. I had to explain to her if she was hitting she wouldnt have to compare and he would have to move her up- so hit.

Starting in May she turned it around and her .avg went from 2.50 to 3.01. June she hit her first out of the park HR and the month of June was hitting .475 and ended the season at 3.33. Also he did gradually move her from 8th to 3rd and her sweet spot was 4/5th. Just was wondering.

Depends on how many coaches' daughters are ahead of her in the line up. Sometimes you can't move up no matter how well you do.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Know your players, and pay attention to trends. IMO, making changes based on one game is foolish. Making changes based on stats alone is foolish.

If our big power hitter in the #3 spot, with one of the highest BAs on the team over the last 2 years, has an 0-for weekend, I'm going to look at why she went 0-for. Knowing her, it was probably just-missed pop-ups, deep fly ball outs, and a couple of screaming grounders to F5 or F6. Next weekend, she will be back in the #3 spot, and will probably put at least one over the fence and bat .500 or better.

If our speedy #2 has obvious timing issues, and isn't making consistently solid contact, I will likely take some of the pressure off by moving her to the bottom half in hopes of her being able to re-find her groove.

Both of these scenarios are affected by what players I have to put in their spots.

100% this...know your team. There's no set number of games, (but it's never 1 game), but you can sense when a girl is struggling, or when someone has turned a corner. If and when you do make a change it always comes with a conversation..."Alexis, we're going to take a little pressure off you so you can work on xyz...you're killing it in the field, and we need you like we always have." or..."Nia, you're seeing the ball really well, we're going to try you in the 3-slot this weekend - keep hitting it hard".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee