Lily 9yo Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
Would love to get some feedback on my 9yo hitting. I’ve been around the game for a while, but I am always open to ideas (especially because I have dad goggles sometimes).

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Would love to get some feedback on my 9yo hitting. I’ve been around the game for a while, but I am always open to ideas (especially because I have dad goggles sometimes).

Awesome kiddo!

In her 1st swing her back knee and head went up. In the 2nd swing back knee went down and head stayed level.

Tough to really see, but it appears she is dropping her back shoulder and spinning the front shoulder to clear a path for the swing rather the front shoulder going up and back to clear a path for the back shoulder to come through level. It is very tough for kids to maintain the posture but that may help some.

Good job Towny9 (y) . Kids are so fun 🥳.

Oct 26, 2019
Awesome kiddo!

In her 1st swing her back knee and head went up. In the 2nd swing back knee went down and head stayed level.

Tough to really see, but it appears she is dropping her back shoulder and spinning the front shoulder to clear a path for the swing rather the front shoulder going up and back to clear a path for the back shoulder to come through level. It is very tough for kids to maintain the posture but that may help some.

Good job Towny9 (y) . Kids are so fun 🥳.

thanks for the feedback. I definitely see what you see. She is usually a tad bit late hitting most stiff middle to oppo and getting jammed on most balls in. She can hit inside if we are working on it specifically, but not well when she has to adjust. I had never noticed her front foot turned in until I took the video so we are goin to straighten that out and then work on posture some. Thanks!

Oct 26, 2019
I like the pre-pitch swagger..nice to see that in a 9 YO :)
We talk a lot about rhythm and timing and that was the focus of today’s hitting session. She (and most of the kids on her team) gets started to late, rushes, and then swings at bad pitches because she is rushed. I showed her a video of me hitting and she asked why my “butt wiggled” before I swung. I told her that was all part of the timing so we worked on her “butt wiggle” some today too.

Hitting in the backyard with her is the most enjoyable thing in the world for me and I keep praying that I push her just the right amount to make her better, but keep it fun. I never know if I am at the right balance. Such is parenting I guess.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
thanks for the feedback. I definitely see what you see. She is usually a tad bit late hitting most stiff middle to oppo and getting jammed on most balls in. She can hit inside if we are working on it specifically, but not well when she has to adjust. I had never noticed her front foot turned in until I took the video so we are goin to straighten that out and then work on posture some. Thanks!
Had a 9 YO once that started pretty much in the launch position and struggled a lot. Asked her to start with elbow down some and have it come up then back to launch while tucking the chin into the front shoulder as it was turning in during the stride. She felt it and started to stroke. What a happy day 🌞

Jun 8, 2016
Hitting in the backyard with her is the most enjoyable thing in the world for me and I keep praying that I push her just the right amount to make her better, but keep it fun. I never know if I am at the right balance. Such is parenting I guess.
I would offer some advice but I am the last person who should be giving advice on this topic..:rolleyes:

Oct 26, 2019
Had a 9 YO once that started pretty much in the launch position and struggled a lot. Asked her to start with elbow down some and have it come up then back to launch while tucking the chin into the front shoulder as it was turning in during the stride. She felt it and started to stroke. What a happy day 🌞
The high elbow to start is not how I hit, but she says it’s comfortable so I haven’t messed with it much. She takes direction almost too well and will try just about anything (even if it’s the town drunk offering the advice). I may have her give that a try and let you know how it goes.

Oct 26, 2019
I would offer some advice but I am the last person who should be giving advice on this topic..:rolleyes:
I have an irrational fear that she will come home from softball tryouts one day upset because she didn’t make the team and I will feel responsible because I didn’t do enough. My other daughter plays soccer (something I know nothing about). I have none of those concerns with her. I’m a better parent to the kid who plays the sport I know nothing about :)

Jun 8, 2016
I have an irrational fear that she will come home from softball tryouts one day upset because she didn’t make the team and I will feel responsible because I didn’t do enough. My other daughter plays soccer (something I know nothing about). I have none of those concerns with her. I’m a better parent to the kid who plays the sport I know nothing about :)
I am sure you parent them equally well. It is just more difficult to keep things in perspective when you have a good idea of how things should look but have to realize that visual is based upon grown men/women...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101