Lily 9yo Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
My 38 YO DD told me today she used to get mad at me coaching her because I always used her as the example of how to or not to do it. My heart took a beating.

Then she said I am so glad that you were my coach. Heart better now.

I intentionally quit coaching my kids at 13 so they could learn that aspect of life. That was much harder than coaching them.

Oct 26, 2019
just an observation. She late timing the release of the pitch. I would have her done with her load and coming forward on the release.
Definitely agree. I have been trying to get her to start earlier and slower instead of late and rushed. Easier said than done. A few days ago I showed her the video @Eric F posted of his DD. Her foot is in the air before the release. My DD understands the concept but putting it into practice had been a challenge. She ends up in extremes where her foot is down so early she stalls out or it ends up late. She had only had about 25 live at bats due to the Covid-19 shutdown so I’m hoping it gets better with at bats and time.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Towny

I think you answered your own question. She starts to load late, gets back and never comes forward. That might be why she can’t hit the inside pitch, starting late. The coordination and timing is off, tries to do everything at once.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Towny

Do fake tosses. Let her load/gather before release so she can work on timing during ball flight.

Don’t tell her when your going to fake toss. It should be load, and say “right now“ during ball flight. Or yes (load), yes (ball flight), yes/ no swing.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Definitely agree. I have been trying to get her to start earlier and slower instead of late and rushed. Easier said than done. A few days ago I showed her the video @Eric F posted of his DD. Her foot is in the air before the release. My DD understands the concept but putting it into practice had been a challenge. She ends up in extremes where her foot is down so early she stalls out or it ends up late. She had only had about 25 live at bats due to the Covid-19 shutdown so I’m hoping it gets better with at bats and time.

You could make the toss faster or get closer to make her change when she times the release. I wouldn’t even say to change it. I would just let her know ‘ your late’ or ‘ your early’. See if she makes the adjustment On her own. I really don’t want to give any mechanical advice without seeing more. FWIW I like her stroke.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

Keep working. Getting a feel for timing takes time. For a young player, lack of body awareness and body control can be a major factor. IMO, learning how use the rear leg to be in control of the forward move is an important part of the process.

Aug 20, 2017
When front tossing, show her the ball, and when you pull back to pitch, she begins the load. She’s gonna be early doing this and will most likely get forward of center (lunge). Reinforce staying behind the ball and riding the rear leg forward. Don’t overbake the load. Let her feel it out. Swing looks good