Lillian 7 years old

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2021
We have been working on some things little by little. She is still pretty young to be able to absorb much technical advice, but she is working hard at it. We have been working on staying closed and some top hand bottom hand drills to help her with bat drag. Her is an updated video.

Oct 2, 2017
We have been working on some things little by little. She is still pretty young to be able to absorb much technical advice, but she is working hard at it. We have been working on staying closed and some top hand bottom hand drills to help her with bat drag. Her is an updated video.

Love that determined look on her face! Friggin Awesome!

The only critique I have is, be really careful with 1 hand top and bottom drills especially it its with a bat (Even if choked up) at that age. They just don't have the strength and or body support to really make use of them. So it could do more harm than good.

Other than that keep swinging away!!!

May 24, 2013
So Cal

As is VERY common for young hitters, her tendency is to swing her arms around her body. This is a disconnection between her body and her bat, and won't allow the body to become the power source for the swing. Especially for young hitters like her, I like the idea of learning to turn the barrel from the neck slot to start to build the feel of the hands and rear shoulder working together.

"The rear shoulder delivers the hands." - @redhotcoach

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I like this for a slo-mo demonstration of the rear shoulder and hands working together at the initiation of the swing. This could be started with the barrel resting on the top of the shoulder.

Last edited:
May 4, 2021
I like this for a slo-mo demonstration of the rear shoulder and hands working together at the initiation of the swing. This could be started with the barrel resting on the top of the shoulder.

Those look very helpful, definitely going to work on that some.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

I think she might be left handed.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
As is VERY common for young hitters, her tendency is to swing her arms around her body. This is a disconnection between her body and her bat, and won't allow the body to become the power source for the swing. Especially for young hitters like her, I like the idea of learning to turn the barrel from the neck slot to start to build the feel of the hands and rear shoulder working together.

"The rear shoulder delivers the hands." - @redhotcoach

Yes swinging with the arm while trying to use the body.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

pretty good. Get the hands to start at her nose. Get her torso a bit more over her toes. Have her load the same way into the back leg and let the hands break inertia naturally. Kids are very mobile. As far as mechanically there isn’t any drag. If you get the torso leveraged earlier, that should alleviate the extra hand usage early.

edit: I think if you set up just a bit different you will see much better results.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
pretty good. Get the hands to start at her nose. Get her torso a bit more over her toes. Have her load the same way into the back leg and let the hands break inertia naturally. Kids are very mobile. As far as mechanically there isn’t any drag. If you get the torso leveraged earlier, that should alleviate the extra hand usage early.

This is asinine. There is drag.
Screenshot_20211203-001432.png
But it doesnt matter. She's practically a toddler. Throw her a bunch of tennis balls with pace. She'll figure it out most likely.

Get 12 or 18 tennis balls and throw them to her flat with some pace she'll figure it out.

What a joke.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478