Lillian 7 years old

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
This is asinine. There is drag.
View attachment 24557
But it doesnt matter. She's practically a toddler. Throw her a bunch of tennis balls with pace. She'll figure it out most likely.

Get 12 or 18 tennis balls and throw them to her flat with some pace she'll figure it out.

What a joke.

Another guy whose experience can’t cash what their mouth spews. Has coached no one. But knows all. Put up someone you’ve coached please so we can all learn. Since you’ve discovered ‘swing down’, last year was it? LOL. Been saying it since 2015. Oh and Barry and Albert were saying it way before me so I don’t know why the need to pat yourself on the back. Lots of that going around lately. Nobody appreciates you? That’s too bad. Not for you. For us. We all have to suffer bc of your lack of character.

Bottom line. Her hands are too far away from her torso when the pelvis begins its tilt so she must react the way she does. Balance the symmetry of rotation and the swing will leverage more from the middle not the back leg.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Tell her to get in a comfortable stance, hit it hard and then just let her hit. If she enjoys doing drills then have her do some walk-ups off the tee..if not don't worry about it. The bat on the shoulder idea isn't bad for the reasons @Eric F mentioned along with the fact that the kid can relax her arms in her stance when she is doing it..right now she looks kind of uncomfortable in her setup. A few different "hitting gurus", who have somewhat different theories on hitting, suggest doing this with young kids.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Also at that age, things will often not be consistent from 1 swing to the next, nvm from one day to the next. Some days my 6 YO son looks great, other days not so much. Most kids have limited body awareness at that age so getting consistent swing mechanics is difficult. This mostly wasn't an issue before the advent of cell phones with video capability.. ;)

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Another guy whose experience can’t cash what their mouth spews. Has coached no one. But knows all. Put up someone you’ve coached please so we can all learn. Since you’ve discovered ‘swing down’, last year was it? LOL. Been saying it since 2015. Oh and Barry and Albert were saying it way before me so I don’t know why the need to pat yourself on the back. Lots of that going around lately. Nobody appreciates you? That’s too bad. Not for you. For us. We all have to suffer bc of your lack of character.

Bottom line. Her hands are too far away from her torso when the pelvis begins its tilt so she must react the way she does. Balance the symmetry of rotation and the swing will leverage more from the middle not the back leg.

Ease up, Dub. Personal attacks help no one. Let's stick to content that the OP might be able to learn from to help his young DD.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
We have been working on some things little by little. She is still pretty young to be able to absorb much technical advice, but she is working hard at it. We have been working on staying closed and some top hand bottom hand drills to help her with bat drag. Her is an updated video.

She starts in a position with her arms/hands bat then they get into another position to swing from. She swings 3 to 9. That is by all definitions slop in the swing. The swing needs to be 12 to 6 without the movement she is now showing.

OR, you work with the position she gets into and improve that starting position AND that position is natural to her.

Right now she is just getting the hands, back elbow up. With no idea how to swing from the position. She has no motor control functions from that position. You have to engineer her swing DNA.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
As is VERY common for young hitters, her tendency is to swing her arms around her body. This is a disconnection between her body and her bat, and won't allow the body to become the power source for the swing. Especially for young hitters like her, I like the idea of learning to turn the barrel from the neck slot to start to build the feel of the hands and rear shoulder working together.

"The rear shoulder delivers the hands." - @redhotcoach

Like the neck slot suggestion!

May 4, 2021
She starts in a position with her arms/hands bat then they get into another position to swing from. She swings 3 to 9. That is by all definitions slop in the swing. The swing needs to be 12 to 6 without the movement she is now showing.

OR, you work with the position she gets into and improve that starting position AND that position is natural to her.

Right now she is just getting the hands, back elbow up. With no idea how to swing from the position. She has no motor control functions from that position. You have to engineer her swing DNA.

My college coach was big on doing an upside down c movement with your hands up and back as the stride occured. Seemed to help. Seemed to help a lot of hitters.

Can you elaborate on your 3-9 and 12-6 hand movement comments? I'm not sure I am envisioning what you mean.

FWIW with everyone, I'm not trying to over analyze the swing of a 7 year old, but anything I can help or work on now is things that we can build a solid foundation with for the future.

I also coach a higher level 8u team ,and 10u little league girls so this will help all of them as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28