Likely on purpose. Catcher hits batter in head.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Multiple Games, Multiple Times..... WTF

The Ump just stood there. Umps even got suckered in to giving outs.

So many guilty people.

These umpires should also be banned for life from being around youth sports. By not acting, they're condoning the behavior. Maybe... and this is if I'm being as generous as I can possibly be, you can give the umps the benefit of the doubt on the first one. But not when it happens multiple times. Not when there's no play to be made. Not when the catcher throws in a direction that's nowhere near a base.

They're equally responsible because it's their job to handle these situations and they chose not to. They should never work another game at any level.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022
I won't take exception with as much of that as you might think, @bmwbykrydr , but there is a whole lot of "wrong" in your post.

I will agree with you to an extent about the batters backing out. Coaches need to start emphasizing staying in the box and we umpires need to get more strict on enforcing the "keep one foot in" rule. Regardless, that has no impact on the play we are discussing.

Incorrect. There is no implication. I'm not sure which rule set you are using, but this game was played under NFHS.

NFHS 7-4-4 is the equivalent for what you are citing. While it mentions stepping out, it does not require the batter to step out with both feet or even one foot. ANY MOVEMENT can be considered interference. (As noted earlier, I am not a fan of the interpretations of this rule.)

You will also note that interference does not occur when a catcher is "throwing the ball" but rather "the catcher's attempt to play on a runner." That is important ... hang on to it for later.

View attachment 27904

I'm going to jump over the first sentence for a moment ... you know that piece I said to hang on to? Break it out now. The rule DOES require a play to be in process. I still argue the interference call in the NCAA game a few weeks ago should NOT have been called because the catcher's throw was NOT a play on the runner, but a designed play to allow the middle infielder to play on the lead runner.

Now, back to that first sentence ... what specifically are you stating is legal and under which rule?

We have established there was no potential play, so there can be no interference. With no play, the catcher can only be throwing that direction for one reason: to hit the batter.

Which brings us to malicious contact. Let's talk about those rules.

NFHS 2-35
View attachment 27905

I would consider intentionally throwing the ball at the face of an opponent when there is no play to be made as excessive and forceful.

NFHS 3-6-18
View attachment 27906

So ... you can't do that. By rule.

NFHS 3-6-18 Penalty
View attachment 27907

In my judgement, I have that as pretty serious. Ejection on the catcher.

Since the penalty above also mentions Article 19, let's look at that one also.

View attachment 27909
View attachment 27910

By that definition, we could make a case the catcher was trying to start a fight. That may be a bridge a bit far, but it fits in that the catcher attempted to strike the batter with the ball. We wouldn't allow the batter to turn around and whack the catcher with the bat if the catcher is set up too close, so why on earth would we allow a catcher to throw a ball at a batter's face when there is no play?

Let me offer you some words of caution, coach. CONTACT IS NOT NECESSARY FOR INTERFERENCE. If you are coaching that, you need to seriously reconsider your position as a coach in youth sports.

You don't get to make up your own addendums.

Encouraging contact falls under NFHS 3-6-13, unsporting acts:

View attachment 27908

I understand what you are saying about the batter stepping out, but trying to use that as some sort of justification for a player to callously inflict bodily harm is not some genius plan.

yuwi4lsg5aea1.jpg

Now I will speak for myself, not the rulebook ... If I hear "run her over," "just hit her," "make her move," or anything to that effect, I am issuing team warnings. If you want to argue that, you can enjoy the rest of the day without having to worry about it. If your player does it, you can both grab an early ice cream cone. Rules in youth sports are designed for the safety of the participants, not the preservation of your precious ego or your win-loss record.
Great post. In most of these videos it looks as if the throw is not going anywhere near 3rd base.
Is it as simple as the ump ruling the catcher is not making an attempt on the runner, but trying to hit the batter?

Oct 4, 2018
I was at the game. My DD plays for the team that was thrown at. Both times before it happened the coach says cowboy loudly, it was a coached play to try and get a interference call with no regards for a student athletes safety. The parents of that team were very disgusting as well. The coach should have been ejected as well as the catcher. No place in sports for this period!!! The girl that got hit the second time has a chipped tooth and swollen jaw from how hard the face mask slammed into her face. This was a 2nd round playoff game and we were pretty far from home so the umpire crew was not from our area. DD's team beat them twice and we get to move on.

I've seen this now on about 17 different facebook posts and groups. The opposing team and catcher and coach getting lit up, rightfully so. Gotta wonder what the parents of the catcher are thinking seeing that the whole softball world has seen this play.

May 27, 2022
These umpires should also be banned for life from being around youth sports. By not acting, they're condoning the behavior. Maybe... and this is if I'm being as generous as I can possibly be, you can give the umps the benefit of the doubt on the first one. But not when it happens multiple times. Not when there's no play to be made. Not when the catcher throws in a direction that's nowhere near a base.

They're equally responsible because it's their job to handle these situations and they chose not to. They should never work another game at any level.

I don't know if I would go that far. Need to be educated? Sure. Banning them just because they don't react, in the heat of the moment, they way that a simple majority of people think they should? Not sure that is warranted.

Why do coaches try 'dirty' plays - because they can get away with it most/all of the time. If they are getting away with it most of the time, then that means that most officials didn't see it the way 'we' do. So, banning every official that was ever part of a dirty play (and also sending a threatening message to all potential officials out there), in itself might end youth sports right there.

Again, probably need to educate these officials - maybe 'demote' them to lesser games. But banning them wouldn't fix the situation. The coach on the other hand...

May 29, 2015
I've seen this now on about 17 different facebook posts and groups. The opposing team and catcher and coach getting lit up, rightfully so. Gotta wonder what the parents of the catcher are thinking seeing that the whole softball world has seen this play.

That D1 coaches are going to be lining up due to her savvy command of the game and laser like accuracy.

Delusions don’t stop, they just get doubled-down.

May 20, 2015
the folks that i was watching on an instagram thread with this video were awesome......defending her, know the rules, it is up to the batter to get out of the way, it looked like she MIGHT be stealing 3rd, so this is totally interference......it definitely filled up a good 5 minutes of my time chuckling at it all

May 21, 2018
the folks that i was watching on an instagram thread with this video were awesome......defending her, know the rules, it is up to the batter to get out of the way, it looked like she MIGHT be stealing 3rd, so this is totally interference......it definitely filled up a good 5 minutes of my time chuckling at it all
I'm impressed you can chuckle at it. I generally want to throw my phone through the wall after reading the comment section.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The Texas HS athletic association will interview the catcher and find out if the coach told her to do this. Of course, some idiot parent might have taught her to do this and the coach let never corrected the behavior.

The coach should know better. You don't want kids getting hurt in athletic competition.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
And yet, there will be too many coaches and parents saying dumb stuff like “That’s the way the game is played!” and “If you can’t handle it go back to rec ball!”
I was playing a Little League game when I was 11 YOA. It was a small town, so we knew each other. One of my friends slid into home. The catcher (also a friend of mine) caught the ball and tried to block the plate, but came down on the runner's leg. It was a compound fracture. The kid walked with a significant limp for the rest of his life. The catcher never played sports again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee