Let's Play Detective

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Here is a scenerio that I discussed with another coach. 1st year varsity pitcher. The coach is calling the pitches against a very good softball team/program. The coach is calling the game while referencing pitching charts against this team from the last two years. The pitcher is doing a great job and cruising. The pitcher is now facing the heart of the lineup for the 2nd time. A changeup is called with two strikes on the hitter. Something fast was thrown and the ball was driven. This hitter has pulled the first two pitches foul. On the next hitter, a pitch was called for the outside portion of the plate. An inside hard pitch was thrown and then repeated for ball four. It seems as if the pitcher is not throwing what is being called. According to the coach, 3 runs cross the plate. The coach gets upset and says to the pitcher, the next time I call for a change and you throw anything other than a change, you'll be pulled out. The catcher, who is a 3-year starter tells the coach that she is calling all of the pitches the coach is calling and has been caught off guard by the sudden "wildness" of the pitcher. In fact, the catcher was pretty upset according to the coach. The pitcher finishes the game and does not give up another hit or walk. The coach is happy, according to the coach and they ask what happened in that inning. OK, play detective, what happened?

Jun 8, 2016
Here is a scenerio that I discussed with another coach. 1st year varsity pitcher. The coach is calling the pitches against a very good softball team/program. The coach is calling the game while referencing pitching charts against this team from the last two years. The pitcher is doing a great job and cruising. The pitcher is now facing the heart of the lineup for the 2nd time. A changeup is called with two strikes on the hitter. Something fast was thrown and the ball was driven. This hitter has pulled the first two pitches foul. On the next hitter, a pitch was called for the outside portion of the plate. An inside hard pitch was thrown and then repeated for ball four. It seems as if the pitcher is not throwing what is being called. According to the coach, 3 runs cross the plate. The coach gets upset and says to the pitcher, the next time I call for a change and you throw anything other than a change, you'll be pulled out. The catcher, who is a 3-year starter tells the coach that she is calling all of the pitches the coach is calling and has been caught off guard by the sudden "wildness" of the pitcher. In fact, the catcher was pretty upset according to the coach. The pitcher finishes the game and does not give up another hit or walk. The coach is happy, according to the coach and they ask what happened in that inning. OK, play detective, what happened?
Her ex-BF showed up with his new GF..

Nov 29, 2009
Dad is calling pitches from the stands
Got accused of that once. I never called a pitch from outside the fence in all the years my DD pitched. She just had some control issues. I happens from time to time with every pitcher. Sometimes for a hitter, sometimes for an inning and sometimes for a game.

DD had the same catcher for most of HS, travel and college. They called their own games. They both played in the same summer program and had the same thought processes. DD used say she thought her catcher was reading her mind. I can't remember a time I saw her shake her catcher off.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Dad is calling pitches from the stands
In response to a couple of the responses about coaches calling pitches, and if this were my school, we have coaches who chart pitches and chart pitches that are thrown to our hitters. We don't leave much to chance. That is one of the reasons our coach calls pitches. Also, one was a college catcher and was extremely good. Naturally, we have signals with the catcher and pitcher and they can shake off. The catcher knows how the coaching staff thinks now. Our pitching staff is young but has thrown some quality innings so they know our program. As a matter of fact, in our next practice, the coach who was an exceptional college catcher is going to work with the catchers and pitchers on this very topic of what we call and why we call it. It is something we do routinely.

I don't know all the ins and outs of the scenario. I know that this is a quality coaching staff. My first thought is that they have a dad calling pitches from the stands. I thought this more so since this is a freshman pitcher. I am interested in finding out what the scoop is. I mentioned to the coach that it is easy enough to figure it out. We haven't played this team yet this year but will. If the dad is doing this, I'll break that code fast and let the coaching staff know what is going on. I am reminded that back in the day when my dd played HS, our rival school had a dad who did this and did it all summer as well. Our girls knew what he did, and how he thought and we killed that team every time we played them.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I did not return to this thread to say what happened. Not only was the dad calling pitches, but he also started yelling at the coaching staff for what they were calling. The pitcher was removed. I don't know the rest but the dad wasn't trying to keep it a secret that he was calling pitches. I guess earlier in the year he was not as animated. The coach didn't ask me for my opinions after the game BUT if I were to give it, they have to address this with the dad. The pitcher is a freshman.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802