"Let it get deep.. (spawned from the Haley Thread in Practical Hitting)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Created this thread so we do not clutter Coach-Q's thread which is a practical hitting thread where he is sharing his experiences with one of his hitters

Let it get deep discussion started on this page I believe.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Thanks for starting the thread Julray.....

I hear it all the time “they need to let the ball travel more” or “let the ball get deeper”.

I can’t understand the point of wanting to actually make contact deep in relation to the body and IMO puts the hitter at a disadvantage by creating a tighter window of timing.

Is the ideal contact point actually deep in reference to the body?

What are the advantages to allowing the ball to get deep?

Also what is considered “deep”?

Is it meant to signal a mechanical flaw that is seen in the swing? If so, what is the most common flaw associated with the statement?

I will use Buster as an example. The bat looks to be entering the zone at pretty much the same time in relation to ball location for all three pitch locations... Contact looks to be in the same location in reference to depth

What am I missing here?

f7d1e2d9673c33e10eac68319d72c13a.png

6b97c610ea7383394ce9b7779efeb61c.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yucky.
Deep pitch moves away from zone more.

That said,
batters have different swings.

Prefer attacking pitch sooner.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
I've said it to two players over the years. One would stab at slower pitches and almost fall on her face. It was a cue for her to be patient and wait for the ball to get there.

The other was my own DD. She had developed a bad habit of hitting everything way out front to the point where she was hitting line drive foul after foul over the 3b dugout... She kneecapped a player on deck behind her and put a grandma in the hospital... Again, it was a cue. Not meant for her to let it get "deep" in her stance, but to let it ride a *little* longer.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
'let the ball get deep' is another nonsense hitting phrase. The only way to 'fix' this is to NOT open your hips as you stride forward. 99% of kids open as they go forward, which starts the swing with one leg in the air. Then they are doomed, and you will hear phrases like 'let the ball get deep'. Then you waste a year or ten trying to understand what the phrase means.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
I've said it to two players over the years. One would stab at slower pitches and almost fall on her face. It was a cue for her to be patient and wait for the ball to get there.

The other was my own DD. She had developed a bad habit of hitting everything way out front to the point where she was hitting line drive foul after foul over the 3b dugout... She kneecapped a player on deck behind her and put a grandma in the hospital... Again, it was a cue. Not meant for her to let it get "deep" in her stance, but to let it ride a *little* longer.

I can understand that..... they both had a mechanical flaws and that cue may have given them an idea of what was going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Interesting replies.

Do you agree or disagree that you should hit an inside pitch more out in front of the plate than an outside pitch?

^^^^ That makes sense to me. I personally think that you should let the outside pitch get deeper than the inside pitch. So in that sense, letting the ball get deep can make sense.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee