"Let it get deep.. (spawned from the Haley Thread in Practical Hitting)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Sorry not following... His staying back is trying to control the move out with the rear leg IMO.. IOW's ride the rear leg until go time or range of motion within the rear leg/ hip is gone... The core is basically along for the ride while the rear leg/hip tries to control the sequence.. He's definetly not trying to beat the pitcher to his hitting position..

Okay, I believe I understand what you are getting at now lol...... man I have been watching that gif and reading your initial post for about 15 minutes lol.... but I believe I finally have it....... If I am understanding you correctly...... The “back” you are referring to isn’t resistance, it is referring to that there was no actual action to get the front side involved? IOW he never attempted to split the “weight” (50-50 launch position) between the two legs. He got stacked over his back hip and just rode it straight down from that exact position????

Edit: I don’t think I personally would even label this ABAF pattern but I understand why it would be considered that. It is because that is exactly what’s taking place. I guess I just have a different image of it and this doesn’t fit my mental image....... I would just call this a straight up lunge..... which is technically ABAF..... I guess I was thinking that they were mutually exclusive for some reason lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: TDS
May 16, 2019
Do you want her to have a deeper contact point than she has in this picture? If so, why? Will that offer an advantage? What actions are causing her to strike the ball further out front in your opinion?
When she started with me she sat on the plate looking to pull the inside pitch Over the last year and a half we have changed her mechanics but her point of contact stayed out front.

May 16, 2019
Yes I’ve got some ABAF hitters. I teach ground up, sequence. I teach get into back butt check, turn belt buckle backward some and maintain that during the stride for lower body. Upper body, anchor the scap, stretch, get away from hands. The core turns the body. Anchor the rear foot. I just don’t have enough time to tweak my travel ball hitters. High school players I can tweak them. I don’t do hitting lessons, turn them down frequently lol
I think I have the same resume as you.....

May 3, 2014
One of the biggest causes of this pattern is focusing on keeping the weight back while attempting to move forward.. One never becomes leveraged since the weight is kept back and not released.. Its an easy feel to hang onto and can provide some power but it lacks a timing mechanism..

If one moves the feel sensor up to the core and allows the legs to be supporters timing issues go away, pulling off pitches goes away, and the rear leg/hip relationship is allowed to happen naturally.

One needs to release the up front stretch during the fyb part of the sequence.. This is what allows hitters to become leveraged into both legs while dynamically balanced.

Good example of not releasing into a leveraged position.. Instead he's trying to keep the weight back while striding forward and allowing the pitcher to control the ab.

Z31kfEG.gif
there is no stretch forward.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Okay, I believe I understand what you are getting at now lol...... man I have been watching that gif and reading your initial post for about 15 minutes lol.... but I believe I finally have it....... If I am understanding you correctly...... The “back” you are referring to isn’t resistance, it is referring to that there was no actual action to get the front side involved? IOW he never attempted to split the “weight” (50-50 launch position) between the two legs. He got stacked over his back hip and just rode it straight down from that exact position????

Yes he kept his weight over the rear leg/hip and just rode it out until range of motion (rear leg/hip) was gone.. The only resistance he has a against the forward move is in the rear leg/hip (not enough).

Yea, he never released to get fyb into both legs.

Edit: I don’t think I personally would even label this ABAF pattern but I understand why it would be considered that. It is because that is exactly what’s taking place. I guess I just have a different image of it and this doesn’t fit my mental image....... I would just call this a straight up lunge..... which is technically ABAF..... I guess I was thinking that they were mutually exclusive for some reason lol.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
TDS,

You made me work for that one . The semantics of this stuff can be very hard to decipher at times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598