Let’s Talk Timing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2018
I thought you said foot up when pitcher starts forward? That sounds like the pitcher dictating timing.
Yeah. Don't you literally have to time the pitcher? Everything that happens, is happening in reaction to what the pitcher is doing. If not we should be using pitching machines a lot more often.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Yeah. Don't you literally have to time the pitcher? Everything that happens, is happening in reaction to what the pitcher is doing. If not we should be using pitching machines a lot more often.
The point is saying every hitter needs to do X when the pitcher does Y ignores differences in style between hitters, in particular tempo. That said fastpitch hitters are a bland bunch in general so this may be ok for a vast majority of them..

Last edited:
May 21, 2018
The point is saying every hitter needs to do X when the pitcher does Y ignores differences in style between hitters. That said fastpitch hitters are a bland bunch in general so this may be ok for a vast majority of them..
I guess this phrase is what is getting me confused.

"you get started on time" rather than "time the pitcher"

What does "on time" mean if you aren't timing the pitcher. You have to be reacting to something.

Jun 8, 2016
You have to be reacting to something.
Of course. I think when you get your foot down (regardless of whether you want to be 1-legged, 2-legged or 10-legged) is probably a better measure of being on time then when you start. Your start is dictated by that in combination with your particular style.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

Hitters definitely read the pitcher but how the individual hitter moves dictates timing.

May 21, 2018
Hitters definitely read the pitcher but how the individual hitter moves dictates timing.
How the hitter moves determines when they need to get started to be on time in relation to what the pitcher is doing, thus IMO, timing the pitcher. A large percentage of the pitcher's job is to disrupt the hitters timing. If the hitter is dictating the timing this wouldn't be possible.

Yes, I know I'm being pedantic and overly literal, but it's Friday and I need the distraction. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: TDS

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
How the hitter moves determines when they need to get started to be on time in relation to what the pitcher is doing, thus IMO, timing the pitcher. A large percentage of the pitcher's job is to disrupt the hitters timing. If the hitter is dictating the timing this wouldn't be possible.

Yes, I know I'm being pedantic and overly literal, but it's Friday and I need the distraction. ;)

Agree, but how they move allows for a bigger and better timing window.

Aug 20, 2017
The best hitters dictate timing by getting front foot up on time and controlling the forward move. This provides the ability to be on time for hard stuff without being rushed and allows enough time to adjust for off speed stuff.

I’ve got a couple of elite hitters and it doesn’t matter what the pitcher does, they will not be fooled or late. Now they will still get out obviously but it’s not because of being fooled or late which is the cause for most hitters getting out.

I’ve called pitches for high level pitchers against elite hitter that you can’t fool or blow it by them due to what I’ve stated above.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23