Let’s Talk Timing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
When is subjective.. How, not so much. Why, not at all.

Funny how ‘when’ is the most flexible.. 😆

View attachment 26867

Don’t watch the front leg in Aaron’s style. Many of the the old timer had this style.

Instead focus on the rear leg loading without the front foot being lifted.

I have 75 swings of Hank. His coil was awesome and he explained it well in his book. It’s understood better today, coil

giphy.gif

This is like a pitcher leading with his rear at the beginning of the motion, before the stride. That’s what is happening in this swing, he is leading with the butt.

This is like a reverse toe tap, you load while bringing the foot back. Hank is just leaving the foot down and back while beginning to load.

What does it mean, the stride doesn’t matter. The stride leg isn’t in control. Hanks foot is just sitting there hovering even when on the ground. Then fully hovering when it eventually lifts and moves forward.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Don’t watch the front leg in Aaron’s style. Many of the the old timer had this style.

Instead focus on the rear leg loading without the front foot being lifted.

I have 75 swings of Hank. His coil was awesome and he explained it well in his book. It’s understood better today, coil

giphy.gif

This is like a pitcher leading with his rear at the beginning of the motion, before the stride. That’s what is happening in this swing, he is leading with the butt.

This is like a reverse toe tap, you load while bringing the foot back. Hank is just leaving the foot down and back while beginning to load.

What does it mean, the stride doesn’t matter. The stride leg isn’t in control. Hanks foot is just sitting there hovering even when on the ground. Then fully hovering when it eventually lifts and moves forward.

Back leg hip coil is responsible for 20 years of bad mechanics and made up band aids to cover its misuse of balance and therefore a false timing mechanism. The look is one thing. The feel and real is something totally different. When you walk Shawn, do you use only one leg? Hitting is the same.

1668605768678.gif

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Shawn I do believe the back leg helps launch just like the hands. The X pattern. The front leg/hip and back shoulder against each other and the front shoulder and back hip/leg against each other. Both contracting against each other at launch. The backside against the front side diagonally, basically an X.

I don’t believe GFR matters quite as much for the simple fact that the target is not vertical but horizontal so the ground is used mostly for positioning and adjusting. I think when a ball is on a tee and positioning is already known (like golf) it matters or helps more. Jmho.

Jan 8, 2019
Here ya go @Shawn

Teddie telling you the same thing. FYB shift then swing. See the active front hip/leg?? 😎 Walking🚶🏽

That is freaking cool! Had no idea that happened.

Piazza: “No big deal, just had Ted Williams come over to give my swing a quick review. Says I hit hard and stuff. What evs.“

Have to believe that was an ego boost of a lifetime! Oh, and Piazza looked to be pretty coachable for a 16 yr old with mad skills.

Reactions: TDS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478