Legal??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2009
Ok I don't know if I can explain this well enough or not but I have a legal questions for all of you.
DD was practicing the other day and she asked me to look at something. She said "Can I do this?"
What she was doing was kind of a submarine pitch but then following through with a full circle after the ball was gone.
In other words she would present, bring both arms back behind her, and release as she came past her leg the first time. Then she would do her full windmill. She threw this awesome as a change up because it had no speed but it was flat and for the most part all were strikes. But I am not sure it is a legal pitch.
Please know that I am not trying to do anything sneaky or underhanded, no pun intended. She was just asking if it was legal.
Thanks in advance.

Jun 22, 2008
Its called an efus pitch and it is illegal. The arm cannot continue to make another revolution after release of the ball.

Nov 1, 2009
You can however do a "slingshot release" just don't continue on with the full revolution after release of the ball.

Jul 21, 2008
Ok I don't know if I can explain this well enough or not but I have a legal questions for all of you.
DD was practicing the other day and she asked me to look at something. She said "Can I do this?"
What she was doing was kind of a submarine pitch but then following through with a full circle after the ball was gone.
In other words she would present, bring both arms back behind her, and release as she came past her leg the first time. Then she would do her full windmill. She threw this awesome as a change up because it had no speed but it was flat and for the most part all were strikes. But I am not sure it is a legal pitch.
Please know that I am not trying to do anything sneaky or underhanded, no pun intended. She was just asking if it was legal.
Thanks in advance.

I have seen a few girls use this before but its illegal. It is Legal only if the arm does not continue the circle after release of the ball. If she wants to use this pitch have her do everything she is currently doing except stop the arm before it travels over the head/top of circle.

Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
That delivery was a favorite of Eddie Feigner. Big drop-back windup, then release the ball on the first pass of the windmill past the hip. Always surprised the batters and the crowd, who were all still waiting for the ball delivery at the end of the full windmill. Hard to do; I've tried many times and onlly once have I gotten the ball into the strike zone.
Jim

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I have seen a few girls use this before but its illegal. It is Legal only if the arm does not continue the circle after release of the ball. If she wants to use this pitch have her do everything she is currently doing except stop the arm before it travels over the head/top of circle.

Actually you are allowed to follow through after release to the point your arm is at the 9:00 position, straight out in front. At that point it has traveled as far in the 'forward' direction as it can. If you continue beyond 9:00, it is now considered to be travelling in a reverse motion and is considered a 2nd revolution after release.

sneakysoftballpitching.com

Jun 22, 2008
Rules have no mention of where the arm must stop, it simply says the arm may not make another revolution after release of the ball.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Rules have no mention of where the arm must stop, it simply says the arm may not make another revolution after release of the ball.

You are correct. However, they DO distinguish between front and rear, and forward and reverse motions.

You are still in forward motion even to 9:00. After that, you are bringing the hand 'up and to the rear' and that constitutes another rotation after the release of the ball.

If you do not think so, ask a knowledgeable UIC.

Jun 22, 2008
All the instruction locally which includes UIC's as instructors is the arm cannot go past vertical after release of the ball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478