Legal step back or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2018
Legal step back using USA rules? "If the pitcher wants to step back with the non-pivot foot, they may do so prior to separating the hands."

May 29, 2015
As @Comp said, step back may have been fine, but she was Illegal all day long and twice on days that they play. I hate to say "shame", but shame on those umpires for allowing it to keep going on like that.

Here is the rule on the step back (from the 2020 rule change memo https://www.teamusa.org/-/media/USA_Softball/Documents/2020/Governance-Documents/2020-Rule-Changes-with-Comments.pdf?la=en&hash=B23ACF9AD0A1DFA9DDCB7501D3D1FE0F38A67DD3#:~:text=Comment: Allows female pitchers to take a backward step from,back from the pitcher's plate )

Rule 6A, Section 1C: Both feet must be on the ground within the 24-inch length of the pitcher’s plate. The shoulders shall be in line with first and third bases. The pitcher shall take a position with their pivot foot in contact with the pitcher’s plate and their non-pivot foot in contact with or behind the pitcher’s plate.

Comment: Allows female pitchers to start with one or two feet on the pitcher’s plate. This aligns the male and female pitching rule as it relates to foot placement.

Rule 6A, Section 1E: The pitcher shall bring their hands together for not less than one second and not more than 10 seconds before releasing the ball. A backward step may be taken before, simultaneous with or after the hands are brought together. The pivot foot must remain in contact with the pitcher’s plate at all times prior to the forward step.

Comment: Allows female pitchers to take a backward step from the pitcher’s plate, before, during or after the hands are brought together. This aligns the male and female pitching rule as it relates to stepping back from the pitcher’s plate.

Feb 25, 2018
Yeah, not sure why a lot of umpires won't call for no pause.

I say "fast" in my mind, which takes the same amount of time as a catcher putting the sign down. Figure that's the minimum pause time.

May 29, 2015
"Fast" is too short. I get about 1/5th of a second, and that may be slow due to my finger reaction time on the start/stop button.

Have somebody write something on a piece of paper and hang the paper at the end of a hallway. Do NOT read it and don't let them tell you what it says. It should be written big enough to read from the other end of the hall, but small enough to challenge you.

NOW ... While you are at the opposite end, look down and have them post the sign. Keep looking down and take a step forward. Now look up and let your eyes focus to read the paper. Read it out loud. That is how long a pitcher should be taking before starting any motion.

At that point, the hands come together for at least one second, or the time it takes you to SAY (not think) "one Mississippi" or "one-thousand-and-one".

Feb 25, 2018
"Fast" is too short. I get about 1/5th of a second, and that may be slow due to my finger reaction time on the start/stop button.

Have somebody write something on a piece of paper and hang the paper at the end of a hallway. Do NOT read it and don't let them tell you what it says. It should be written big enough to read from the other end of the hall, but small enough to challenge you.

NOW ... While you are at the opposite end, look down and have them post the sign. Keep looking down and take a step forward. Now look up and let your eyes focus to read the paper. Read it out loud. That is how long a pitcher should be taking before starting any motion.

At that point, the hands come together for at least one second, or the time it takes you to SAY (not think) "one Mississippi" or "one-thousand-and-one".

If you look at 10.2.2, the NCAA rule used to be a pause of at least 2 seconds. I like that, it's defined.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200913-121606_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20200913-121606_Drive.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 16
May 29, 2015
I thought so, but I wasn’t certain and didn’t have it handy. I fully agree that a defined pause is the best way to write that.

(We need these threads merged.)

Oct 24, 2010
The step back is legal, but she is illegal in not simulating taking a signal with the hands separated after stepping on.

^This, 100%. Look how long it takes her to get the sign while behind the pitcher's plate.

While NCAA has eliminated the 2-second pause pointed out by BlaineAB, they've introduce a rule requiring the pitcher to take the sign while in the pitching position, that is, she's contacting the plate with her pivot foot and the stride foot is set. Taking the sign introduces a significant pause.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018
What I've noticed here in New England regarding illegal pitches for no pause or even stepping onto the pitching plate with the hands together, is that some umpires just won't call it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478