Leg drive

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
https://youtu.be/XEhA3hXo-eU

We have tried explode but I will try sprint. She is so worried about leaping or hopping. I wasn’t sure if this comes after pitching a while for kids or we need to work on it:

Your DD looks to be an athlete. But, she has a number of serious flaws in her motion that will start her development as a pitcher.

Is she going to a PC? Or is she self-taught? Where is she trying to go with pitching?

If she really wants to be a good pitcher, she needs to really go to work.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019
Your DD looks to be an athlete. But, she has a number of serious flaws in her motion that will slow her development as a pitcher.

Is she going to a PC? Or is she self-taught? Where is she trying to go with pitching?

If she really wants to be a good pitcher, she needs to really go to work.

IMHO:

She isn't getting proper instruction. He is teaching her the "step/hello elbow" pitching. That method of pitching is simply wrong. She'll never achieve her full potential.

My suggestion is to either:

a) Get a better PC *OR*
b) Try to do it yourself using the resources here.

"Doing it yourself" can be done...especially if she can occasionally go see a "real" pitching coach, like Bill Hillhouse, Java, or Coach James.

This kid "did it herself". So, yours can as well.

276e514d153a7d038d3e0015293416b3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 4, 2019
Her goals are to play varsity next year, I think that’s a short years hoal she can get as we are a small school. I know she would like to play college at what ever level she can get into. She loves first base but I get that anyone can play 1st.

Mar 13, 2010
Anyone can play first base. Not many can play it well.

All positions at a decent level are skilled.

Ray is right. Stepping ‘style’ is wrong. It’s very outdated and you won’t see anyone using it now for the reason is it’s ineffective.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I wouldn't necessarily call steppers wrong as much as just being inefficient. Leap and drag will employ much more kinetic energy transfer.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
IMHO:

She isn't getting proper instruction. He is teaching her the "step/hello elbow" pitching. That method of pitching is simply wrong. She'll never achieve her full potential.

My suggestion is to either:

a) Get a better PC *OR*
b) Try to do it yourself using the resources here.

"Doing it yourself" can be done...especially if she can occasionally go see a "real" pitching coach, like Bill Hillhouse, Java, or Coach James.

This kid "did it herself". So, yours can as well.

276e514d153a7d038d3e0015293416b3.jpg

This is Dominique Brown. Rick Pauly was/is her pitching coach. I understand that her parents were very involved, and she obviously had several influences along the way... But she certainly didn't get to a college level 100% on her own

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Stepper style is when the back leg does not push off in the upswing, or the drive/push forward doesn't happen in the upswing. She doesn't drive off the rubber in the upswing. She flexes the back leg where Lisa for example pushing off. So it's a flex the back knee where Lisa drives off the rubber and opens up the hips. It's not all about driving off the rubber in the stepper style. There is a flex, keep the weight back and somewhat of a push off in the downswing.

This is a stepper, there is some drive, just not in the same manner as the Lisa clip I posted.

giphy.gif

Looks like she creates some good resistance against the front leg for being out of date.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812