Leg drive

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2019
I posted a few months back that my daughter is new to pitching at what is considered a older age, 13. She is doing pretty good with arm wise and speed and accuracy is picking up. However, the idea of leg drive and pushing off the mound is very hard for her to grasp.

What are some key words or another way to explain this?

Nov 8, 2018
I posted a few months back that my daughter is new to pitching at what is considered a older age, 13. She is doing pretty good with arm wise and speed and accuracy is picking up. However, the idea of leg drive and pushing off the mound is very hard for her to grasp.

Sprint off the rubber.
Explode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

Pretend you are falling forward, your falling, falling as you bend at the hips and get into a sprinter position, and then as you maintain the feeling of falling forward you teach or use the cue of fast feet, fast arm. You want to speed up the footwork which happens with the cue of trying to catch yourself from falling. So fall, fall, quick feet to catch up with the falling and a quick/fast arm to catch up with the fall and lower body getting out there ahead of the body.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Disregard my post, your daughter is a stepper and therefor has no leg drive. Sprinter position can't help in the way most think of it. The falling forward can still work in the stepping style, just not the same way as Lisa is showing.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019
I am beyond dumb in the lingo �� what is stepper style ? In my mind she is doing it wrong. I have suggested bending at the waist and she is not a fan of this. I will say her pitching coach is doing leg drills and sprinter style pitching drills. But, other than saying explode of the mound he is not really correcting this yet. I’m not sure if he is letting her get the feel of the upper body first or wht. She just started pitching in November.

Nov 8, 2018
https://youtu.be/XEhA3hXo-eU

We have tried explode but I will try sprint. She is so worried about leaping or hopping. I wasn’t sure if this comes after pitching a while for kids or we need to work on it:

Yet looking at this link. The FALL Drill by Java is amazing and may help get her leaning forward which causes movement forward, a rushed arm for timing and overall sets up the pitch better.
It’s a process and do one thing at a time. She has to learn to lean forward to get that push. She will
Either fall on her fade or push.
Haha

Drive Mechanics
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...tpitch.com/showpost.php?p=499475&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I am beyond dumb in the lingo �� what is stepper style ? In my mind she is doing it wrong. I have suggested bending at the waist and she is not a fan of this. I will say her pitching coach is doing leg drills and sprinter style pitching drills. But, other than saying explode of the mound he is not really correcting this yet. I’m not sure if he is letting her get the feel of the upper body first or wht. She just started pitching in November.

Stepper style is when the back leg does not push off in the upswing, or the drive/push forward doesn't happen in the upswing. She doesn't drive off the rubber in the upswing. She flexes the back leg where Lisa for example pushing off. So it's a flex the back knee where Lisa drives off the rubber and opens up the hips. It's not all about driving off the rubber in the stepper style. There is a flex, keep the weight back and somewhat of a push off in the downswing.

This is a stepper, there is some drive, just not in the same manner as the Lisa clip I posted.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio

Try this idea - Imitation is flattery. Make the lower push out, stride and landing her total focus for one practice session. Pitch WITHOUT a ball and ONLY concentrate on this by IMITATING the movement seen with top college pitchers. It may take 10 minutes, it may take a half hour. Once you are satisfied that she is now more properly pushing out (video her and review together) and landing a distance that is typical for the players you are imitataing, add a ball to the equation. The video below has plenty of examples.

Sep 19, 2018
Try this idea - Imitation is flattery. Make the lower push out, stride and landing her total focus for one practice session. Pitch WITHOUT a ball and ONLY concentrate on this by IMITATING the movement seen with top college pitchers. It may take 10 minutes, it may take a half hour. Once you are satisfied that she is now more properly pushing out (video her and review together) and landing a distance that is typical for the players you are imitataing, add a ball to the equation. The video below has plenty of examples.

I'll add my once my DD coach added the ball to this drill, DD threw into a tarp / net that was close. Coach did not want my DD to worry about balls and strikes when specifically working drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802