Leftie - which foot leads??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

DDs coach has insisted she lead off with her right leg. Noticed today when she was running to 1st, she looked somewhat off - WAAAY slower than usual. She volunteered the information after we got home. She said that her coach told her to lead off with her right leg, which is obviously the weaker of the two because she is a REAL left handed girl. Just wondering what y'all's thoughts are on that because I don't know if I should tell her to relay to him that she is a true leftie and needs that extra push from her stronger leg or to have her start working on going from her right leg at home?? Bless her, lead in the britches to begin with - don't need any extra help in slowing down...

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Interesting question, and one I've never really pondered. I'll take a stab at it but bear in mind this is as much a mental experiment for me more than advice, but if my twisted thought patterns splattered in text form help I guess we can call it advice.

To determine the best method for getting out of the box we need to look at the position of the body and weight distribution of support at the finish of the swing. Never having seen your DD swing this is totally guess work.

IF your DD has 'correct' swing mechanics then at the finish of her swing her right leg is extended in front of her from the stride and is 'firmed up' from having been used to provide resistance from the swing and the left leg is under her bent and recieving the weight shift back from the completion of the follow through swing.

If I understand what the coach is saying, since the weight should be trasitioning to the back (left) and allow the first step to be with the right leg as the left is already loaded. I would try using the left leg as the pivot point to push towards first with the first stride being with the right foot collecting in and moving towards first base.

I can see where if her weight is on the right foot at finish it would be slower to get started down the line if the right foot is the desired start foot. She would have to consiously shift her weight back to the left foot to lift and stride with the right. If her weight is on the right foot at finish I'd have someone look at her swing mechanics and see if they can get better resistance on the lead side of her body so she isn't swinging through her plant side but more swinging into and rebounding off of it. That change should increase the whip in her arms and transfer more energy into her bat for more powerful hits and put her in a better position to leave the box as her coach is suggesting. Or I could be a nut job spouting nonsense. YMMV.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Rockartist, I am with Bishop on this. I am thinking that it is a "non-teach."

Are you asking us about getting out of the box, after a single - or pushing off of first base? If it is out of the box, is she batting lefty?

If the coach is telling her something that is counterintuitive to her, have her shake her head yes and smile. Have her try it a time or two and then go back to what feels right.

I've had her hop online so maybe she can better explain what the coach is asking her to do. She is batting left - only thing she knows. When I asked her from the box or off of first, she said he told her to do it from both. Hopefully she'll post soon and get me straightened out! :)

Jul 21, 2010
Mississippi
ok well yes im that girl. ha! i am left handed and have always put my RIGHT foot in front of me on all of the bases that i went to.. it is comfortable for me and makes me run quicker and more swift around the bases. the one time in the whole game that i got on 1st my coach looked at me and said "fix your feet" and i had no idea what he was talking about. so i asked and he said "well your right handed so lead off with your left foot!" i tried to explain how i am left handed but i dont think he really picked up on it.. what do i tell him?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, so I have stood up and looked to see what foot I put out, off the base. I am right handed and I put my right foot out.

There are many ways to stand on the base. I just don't teach any certain way.

Wait until an appropriate time and remind him, what he told you. I would say "I just need to check this........"

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Wow, I have no idea what he's talking about. We dictate how a player leaves the bag, but that's based on getting a good timing on the pitcher and not getting called for leaving the bag early. It has nothing to do with being righty or lefty. I'd be asking for an explaination of why they want it done that way or pull the smile and nod trick that Amy mentioned.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood