Leave Your Helmet ON!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
I always find it interesting how that is the case 99% of the time in softball but not baseball. In baseball that runner would be wearing one his next AB. Then girls complain about being called soft..........

I’ve never heard girls complain about being called soft because I’ve never heard anyone accuse them of being soft.

Gee, I wonder who would call them soft?

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I always find it interesting how that is the case 99% of the time in softball but not baseball. In baseball that runner would be wearing one his next AB. Then girls complain about being called soft..........

Taking a (dirty? bush league?) blow, getting up, dusting yourself off, continuing the game, and then showing you're better by winning the game is not being soft. Being so emotionally and mentally weak that you feel the need to launch a potentially deadly projectile at someone in retaliation for some perceived transgression is soft.

Mar 28, 2014
Taking a (dirty? bush league?) blow, getting up, dusting yourself off, continuing the game, and then showing you're better by winning the game is not being soft. Being so emotionally and mentally weak that you feel the need to launch a potentially deadly projectile at someone in retaliation for some perceived transgression is soft.
You seem to feel strongly about this. Why don't you go speak to every MLB pitcher out there. Start with Sabathia at 6'6" 290 lbs and go from there. Tell them that they are emotionally and mentally weak for throwing at people after a received transgression.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
You seem to feel strongly about this. Why don't you go speak to every MLB pitcher out there. Start with Sabathia at 6'6" 290 lbs and go from there. Tell them that they are emotionally and mentally weak for throwing at people after a received transgression.

I don't agree with 15-16yos (boys or girls) being expected to react the same as highly-paid full-grown adults who are both athletes and entertainers. I'm proud of my DD, her teammates, and her coaches for how they responded in this game.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

I should do that so what, exactly, could happen? They can beat me up, thus proving that I'm right? (They wouldn't do that, of course. They would just drone on about how "that's how the game is played" or some such nonsense).

I do feel strongly that throwing at someone is a pathetic, weak, immature move, and anybody who would do it doesn't deserve much respect. I also admit that I have, in the past, hoped for such things to happen (talking pros here, not anything involving kids). And those were really sad moments, rooting for my team's pitcher to assault a player on the other team.

Throwing inside is part of the game. Throwing so far inside you might hit someone could be, too. Retaliating with violence that is outside the rules of the game, however, is something losers do. I don't think any of my pitchers have that mentality, but I'd make it absolutely clear that kind of behavior is absolutely not acceptable.

And, for what it's worth, last year my high school team dealt with a much worse situation at a game (it involved a player on the other team being arrested). They all handled themselves exactly the right way, and I made sure to let them know how proud I was of how maturely they acted that day.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Or this perspective~
Consider being careful about what batter you chose to hit on purpose! ;)
....if someone out there is considering that....

Got plugged once on the side.
Pretty badly, air was shoved out of my lungs, made a loud gutteral noise. Ran down to first. Pitcher apologized.
Of which i respected her sportsmanship.
Found out after tourny it cracked two ribs.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2016
Am I the only one that thinks the players wearing cloth face masks is unusual? Is her coach making them wear them?

Jan 22, 2011
Am I the only one that thinks the players wearing cloth face masks is unusual? Is her coach making them wear them?
The scrimmages my DD played in this fall required batters to wear face coverings while batting, optional after they reached first base. Plate umpire was required to wear a face covering. Catchers weren't required to wear covering, but I think it would be prudent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802