Leave Your Helmet ON!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I’m hoping there wasn’t another concussion from this hit?

Love the raised glove - “I don’t know if I’m OK yet - but here’s the ball ump!”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No concussion. She was back behind the plate for the next pitch and the rest of the game (this was 2nd inning). This play fired up her team, and they went on to post a nice win :)

EDIT: Correction - 1st inning.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2016
I really wish this play would be removed from the game. It basically turns into a football play if the runner decides to stay up. After getting blown up my freshman year, that is how I treated it the other two times I faced it in my career. Come up the line, get lower than the runner, and my mask was going into their chest if they didn't get down or hit the brakes.

Feb 13, 2020
Glad she was OK. I’m going to assume the batter coming up to hit next is the worst batter in the history of hitting to try such a stupid baserunning play - they just have no confidence in her ability to hit.
That’s probably the most likely reason. The only other reason I could think of this happening was maybe that girl was the fastest girl on the team and the coach thought she could make it? If that was the case than that coach really overestimated her speed.

Sep 17, 2009
Maddie did take her glove off though (for a second). I wonder if that was the trigger for coming home? I know it's only showcase but runner should have been ejected for creating contact IMO.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Maddie did take her glove off though (for a second). I wonder if that was the trigger for coming home? I know it's only showcase but runner should have been ejected for creating contact IMO.

That might have been the trigger. I'm glad she got it back on quickly - LOL.

Sadly, we heard comments from the stands on the runner's side that she should have gone in harder to knock the ball loose. Later in the same game, as our SS was lying on the ground assessing whether her knee was still intact after a collision at 2B, their parents were quite vocal that our team was wasting time. So classy...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
That’s probably the most likely reason. The only other reason I could think of this happening was maybe that girl was the fastest girl on the team and the coach thought she could make it? If that was the case than that coach really overestimated her speed.

My take is that they were gambling on our girls not paying attention after just giving up a run on a wild pitch.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Old school here. Memory of an elephant. Next time I tag that runner it would be ball in hand to the clavicle.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Glad Maddie is OK. Glad she had the helmet on. Glad she got the out. Glad the other team lost after displaying such great sportsmanship.

Thank you for sharing this clip to again reinforce one of many reasons why the Catcher should keep that helmet on. Coaches who are still out their telling these girls to flip the mask off should take a few hits to the noggin themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802