Learning to turn from the backside

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2014
I see some pushing of the hands. Looks like she is trying to stay inside the ball. Sometimes that will force the hands to outrun the back elbow. Maybe not as whippy as could be. Other than that she looks great! Lots of bat speed and balance.
We’ve been working on her whipping the bat. She’s gotten better but still gets her hands involved maybe a little too much

May 12, 2014
I think another thing causing “issues” is we’ve been working on staying connected to that back shoulder. I almost think she’s using her shoulder now to help initiate the turn.

Oct 2, 2017
I think another thing causing “issues” is we’ve been working on staying connected to that back shoulder. I almost think she’s using her shoulder now to help initiate the turn.
This might sound stupid, but how do you define "turn" in the swing?

Aug 20, 2017
Try to get the barrel turning behind the body and allow the rotation of the body to carry the barrel through the zone.

Her push is small but it will result in a few things (probably why you have to tee so far out front). First, they typically have a steeper decent to the ball which causes a lot of backspin pop ups and some slicing of the ball if it gets too deep. Second, bat speed will be more out front which will cause early committal to the ball due to her knowing she has to hit it out front to hit it hard. Balls that get deep with a pusher cause them issues.

How does she do in games?

May 12, 2014
Try to get the barrel turning behind the body and allow the rotation of the body to carry the barrel through the zone.

Her push is small but it will result in a few things (probably why you have to tee so far out front). First, they typically have a steeper decent to the ball which causes a lot of backspin pop ups and some slicing of the ball if it gets too deep. Second, bat speed will be more out front which will cause early committal to the ball due to her knowing she has to hit it out front to hit it hard. Balls that get deep with a pusher cause them issues.

How does she do in games?
She hits really well in games. Hits with power. But you’re spot on with balls that get deep. If she doesn’t catch it out front she mishits a bunch of those

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If you’re gonna use the back leg as the ‘turning point’ then you must learn TTB rearward.

If you’re looking to make the core your ‘turning point’ you should use knob to ball.

She’s pushy because she turns to hit the ball from her back leg. But instinctively she needs to speed up the barrel so she pushes her hands to the ball.

In the pro pattern the legs are used to hit against not with. You can use either pattern. One is easy to learn but has a few setbacks. The other is tougher to learn but is more adjustable.

Oct 2, 2017
If you’re gonna use the back leg as the ‘turning point’ then you must learn TTB rearward.

If you’re looking to make the core your ‘turning point’ you should use knob to ball.

She’s pushy because she turns to hit the ball from her back leg. But instinctively she needs to speed up the barrel so she pushes her hands to the ball.

In the pro pattern the legs are used to hit against not with. You can use either pattern. One is easy to learn but has a few setbacks. The other is tougher to learn but is more adjustable.

I can agree with that.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I'll try the best I can. If you look at the yelich video above you'll notice his hands maintains pull back behind him(corner) as his core lower half and core fire and then turn the corner so to speak. With OP DD her hands do not maintain pull back but get ahead of the lower half and core and is ahead of (corner)I guess you can say she is pushy.

My DD has issues with this as well, I think part of it is her using the hands to to initiate launch in the swing vs using the lower half and core to load,coil,and launch.
So I kinda see it (corner) in Yelich video, but do all hitters have a corner? Looking at some other gifs (Miggy and others ) and trying to identify the corner is escaping me.

Oct 2, 2017
So I kinda see it (corner) in Yelich video, but do all hitters have a corner? Looking at some other gifs (Miggy and others ) and trying to identify the corner is escaping me.
I would say so. some its more pronounce than others, I would say also somewhat dependent on pitch location. But for most you see the back side and core launching first before the hands.

Here is Miguel here:

This is at the 9 sec. mark of the same video and you can see it:

Capture.PNG

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802