Learning to leap

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2018
Ok, with the leap rule appearing to have been changed in the USA rule set, what are considerations and key performance indicators for pitchers learning how to leap? Provided they want to.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I believe any effort to teach it will be counterproductive. The rule change only benefits those who happen to catch a little air and umpires who no longer have to watch for it.

Crow hopping will be another matter.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
In the International games that I have watched on YouTube where leaping is legal most of the pitchers leave the ground at push off but then drag a little into release.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Until other organizations/sanctions adopt this rule I wouldn’t recommend teaching a true leap. And, IMO, you wouldn’t be teaching the pitcher to purposefully not drag the back foot. You just wouldn’t make it a point of emphasis.

Ideally, a pitcher should be striding in a manner where they are trying to drag just the tip of the toes across the dirt. Which, if all mechanics are good, will happen.

The biggest advantage I see is for pitchers avoiding a rutted out pitching lane. There have been some so bad I’ve outright told DD to just jump over them and we’ll deal with the call if it comes.

An actual change in teaching would come if/when crow hopping becomes legal. That will be the true opening of Pandora’s box as you’ll have vastly different opinions of pitching style at that point.

Aug 21, 2008
It seems like such a small percentage of teams play strictly USA softball. In fact, I don't know of ANY that only play USA events. Most don't care if they play USA, PGF, USSSA, etc. And the prestige of playing ASA/USA Nationals has taken a backseat to all kinds of other "Nationals". The college ranks will meet and vote on this in early December. If they approve it, there will still be a 2 year wait until it's officially legal in college ranks. Even then, that will only be NCAA. There's still NAIA, JuCo, and others. NAIA has considerably different rules on things than NCAA, so there's no guarantee they will adopt it. Now, I realize NAIA games aren't on TV. But there's still a lot people here who's kids go to those schools.

With all of that said, I do believe the others will follow eventually but they will take their cue from what the college outcome is. I wouldn't recommend changing your pitching coaching or actual pitching solely because USA softball did. It will only lead to problems if you play another sanction's tournament.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
It seems like such a small percentage of teams play strictly USA softball. In fact, I don't know of ANY that only play USA events. Most don't care if they play USA, PGF, USSSA, etc. And the prestige of playing ASA/USA Nationals has taken a backseat to all kinds of other "Nationals". The college ranks will meet and vote on this in early December. If they approve it, there will still be a 2 year wait until it's officially legal in college ranks. Even then, that will only be NCAA. There's still NAIA, JuCo, and others. NAIA has considerably different rules on things than NCAA, so there's no guarantee they will adopt it. Now, I realize NAIA games aren't on TV. But there's still a lot people here who's kids go to those schools.

With all of that said, I do believe the others will follow eventually but they will take their cue from what the college outcome is. I wouldn't recommend changing your pitching coaching or actual pitching solely because USA softball did. It will only lead to problems if you play another sanction's tournament.
just returned from USSSA National Convention, and with all the discussion that took place, I would bet they they will allow in 2022. Watch for it very soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802