Learning and Teaching Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
My quest to learn hitting.

Tapes and dvd's I own

Ralph Weekly tapes - hitting stations
Ken Kraus - Rotational Hitting
Doyle MVP
Epstein Tapes
John Cohen - UK coach
Larry Ray - Slapping
RVP Instructional & Capture viewer
Englishbey Tapes

Books:

Mike Epstein
Mike Schmidt Study
Am currently reading Lau's Laws on Hitting

I have not looked at nyman or yeager. What else is worth reading.

Please do not tell my wife how much money I have spent.

Still Learning.

Straightleg

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I know that you are more knowledgeable than I on the subject of hitting, but I did not see Ted Williams "The Science of Hitting" listed there. that book is so basic you maybe just forgot to list it.
I also have the "Science of Hitting" video which includes two releases of that short film - the first in b&w when Ted was probably still with the Red Sox and a later one when he was coach of the Rangers. They both have some great footage of names you no longer hear- Ruth, Musial, Mantle, Mays, Kaline, Killebrew, Bench,...

Here's where I got it:
http://www.raresportsfilms.com/66ted.html

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Clarifying

My quest to learn hitting.

Tapes and dvd's I own

Ralph Weekly tapes - hitting stations
Ken Kraus - Rotational Hitting
Doyle MVP
Epstein Tapes
John Cohen - UK coach
Larry Ray - Slapping
RVP Instructional & Capture viewer
Englishbey Tapes

Straightleg

Just to clarify, I don't have any hitting tapes or DVDs. I consulted on a DVD from Ken van Bogaert but that's as close as I have come. Thanks for thinking I could, though!

Jul 17, 2008
Troy, Illinois
The Winning Hitter and The Art of Hitting .300 Both Charlie Lau. BTW, when I was coaching baseball in the former Soviet Union, I left my copy of The Art of Hitting .300 with the coaching staff over there. Wonder if I violated any laws?

Hudgen's DVD

Epstein's Video

Ted William's Book (Special gift from my Dad!)

Englishbey's DVDs

Cohen's DVD (Borrowed)(He is a fantastic speaker and I've heard him a couple of times.)

I have several books which have chapters on hitting. However, none of them really fit the bill.

Dec 28, 2008
If you ask Crystal Bustos what her hitting style is she has a pretty simple answer "You throw the ball and I'll hit the ball." If you video her several games you'll see different approaches at different times depending on the situation. She just has the confidence that she can destroy any pitch you throw to her, doesn't even have to be a strike, and does whatever her body says she needs to to go out and attack the ball.

So as you begin your quest be sure to check out any material you can find from Bobby Simpson. He recently released a series of Elite Hitting Videos on www.winningsoftballonling.com, but you can also contact him directly at Higher Ground Softball. Bobby doesn't teach any style, and doesn't care about or knock any style, his stuff is all very unique "mental" approaches to being a hitter. Most elite players say that confidence is 80% of the game, but a lot of time we get hung up on spending 100% of our time working on the other 20%. For instance you mentioned Right View Pro .... compare the swings of Derek Jeter and Chipper Jones. You will see that both are as different as night and day "purist" style teachers would tell you that the other couldn't possibly hit well. But clearly they both do. So be sure to consider the mental aspect of being a hitter, along with the techniques for hitting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802