LEARN TO HIT THE RISEBALL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Learn to hit the riseball !

After reading so much passion about the riseball,
Seems to be a great topic!

To dispel the myth that the riseball is not thrown for a strike~
* It is thrown for a strike.
* Can be thrown for a strike.
* Is not always thrown for a strike.

The wonderful thing about the riseball~
* It can be thrown inside or outside.
* In the strike zone or out of the strike zone.
* It can be thrown lower or higher.

Learning to read pitches in or out of the zone is true of all pitches.

* To say LEARN TO HIT THEM
could be said for any pitch !

Encourage batters learn to be able to hit all pitches because pitchers are training to use them against you!

ENJOY

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD throws a low rise in addition to her regular rise. She has a decent amount of downward movement on most of her pitches, so sometimes the hitters will see the lower trajectory and lay off. Then they are surprised when the low rise doesn't drop as much as her other pitches.

Disclaimer: I'm not claiming she has a great riseball. But she can be effective when she mixes things up. She won't over power many college hitters.

Apr 16, 2013
Last year my DD's team faced a JMU commit pitcher. Her main arsenal was a rise and a drop. 2 polar opposite pitches. Pretty effective. First round it got my DD. Second round she waited on the drop and drilled it up the middle. The girl had a curveball too, but it just wasn't much more than a regular fastball. We beat the team because their defense was lacking. The pitcher was still very effective. As a catcher, my DD almost instinctively wants a high fastball (or rise) after a low pitch (drop, changeup) . The mind just has a hard time adjusting between the two. No matter what anyone says, the best hitters guess what's coming and wait for that. If you know, or believe a riseball is coming, you can crush it. But the ones that "see" it coming down the path and "adjust" to it, are one in a million.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
3rd batter top of the 1st. Launch at 8:57!

12U @ 225' fence 😎

- 2019 PGF National Championships 12U PREMIER

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse