Leap into 2022, USA rules change for pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
We'll have to agree to disagree on pretty much every point.
---------------------------------------------------------------
NFHS Rules

Section 16 - Crow Hop
"A crow hop is the replant of the pivot foot prior to delivering the pitch. The crow hop is an illegal pitch."

Pitching
Section 1 - Art 1

"Prior to starting the delivery (pitch), the pitcher shall take a position with the pivot foot in contact with the pitchers plate...."

About the Pitch
Art 2

"a. The Pitch starts when the pitcher's hands separate after they have come together while the pivot foot is in contact with the plate."
--------------------------------------------------------------

So, if the only rule you read is Section 16 definition of crow hop, replanting seems to be the key. But, it says replanting prior to delivering the pitch. Art 2 states "The pitch" begins when the hands separate. Now, if the crow hop rule said, replanting during the delivery of the pitch, then guilty as charged. But it says PRIOR to the pitch. The NFHS video is consistent with this interpretation.

The ASA came out with a similar interpretation.

The NCAA added language about bent legs, and bearing weight, which seems to be impossible to enforce. IMHO, making new rules for Barnhill, is an admission that she was operating within the existing rules.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Writing this post knowing full well the discussion about this topic will continue forever.
(Like the technical hitting forum LOL)

Read and re-read the rules all you want,
it is the visual interpretation that will matter.
People may interpret the rules can be written very vague or not.
However in the moment
*THE VISUAL interpretation will decide.
*imo is the most important factor.
Just like balls & strikes!

Have found it is just better to
* pitch it and hit it!

I'm saying this again and kind of making it a statement if you will. Because all the oncomming bitching and the griping and the delay of game about the focus on something that in the long run is irrelevant.
👉When all you have to do is
👉just hit the ball
This simple message
can remove all sorts of aggravation trying to stare at the pitchers feet and figure out whether or not you have a complaint.
When all you have to do is
HIT THE BALL 😎BOOM

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Replanting like the men will require a drastic change in mechanics and timing, not easy to do. There are a lot of pitchers that replant in a subtle way to stay legal, Gabby Plain is one, along with Barnhill.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I have doubts about whether leaping will be a big benefit. It should allow a pitcher to get a little closer to the plate but there will be more wear and tear on the legs, particularly the front/landing one. One thing for sure, it will help 'athletic' pitchers more.

Crow hopping or replanting like the men is another thing entirely. If the arm is at 3:00 at launch and 10-11 at foot plant what happens when you spend more time in the air between these two points? You have to pause or slow the arm in that part of the circle (3-10), so there is a loss of velocity in there, then you have to pick the speed back up again.

Oct 14, 2019
I think one of the main benefits will be fewer arguments and illegal pitch calls when the drag foot is a few inches above the clay. Nothing ruins the flow of a game as much as a coach yelling illegal pitch for de minimis violations on every single pitch. Plus the umpire is hardly even in a position to call a violation from behind the plate. Sometimes the only reason the foot is not touching is because the opposing pitcher has dug a hole in front of the rubber.

Apr 11, 2016
This weekend, DD played in a tourney in FL where multiple umps called out. We paid tons of money but they had mostly one ump per game instead. I can see umps throwing up their hands and say I QUIT! How are they going to watch balls and strikes and then have to call the pitcher out b/c of an illegal pitch? They can't even call balls and strikes correctly most of them time. They definitely can't call when a slapper was out of the box during contact.

I joke that I should invent a device to call balls and strikes to free up an ump to watch other stuff on the field.

Jun 9, 2021
Saw an opposing coach call my then 10U daughter out for leaping. This was during an unsanctioned tournement. It, of course, got in my daughter's head and she struggled the rest of the inning. Luckily her teammates all came through and easily defeated the team. It was obvious by the end of the game that this one one of many 'head game' techniques this coach used as he was trying all types of nonsense to gain an advantage and was finally warned by the ump. This happened at the same time as last summer's college world series. My daughter and I started watching some of the best pitchers in the game in slow motion and occasionally saw two feet off of the ground at the same time and never saw it called. My conclusion the leaping rule is just a stupid way of messing with young pitchers. Otherwise, there would be a replay method or accountability similar to other NCAA sports for challenging this, why isn't there a dedicated camera on this similar to the goal line in football?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28