LBR on pop fly to pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 17, 2019
Situation is a runner on 3B and a pop fly was hit directly to pitcher and pitcher catches it inside the pitching circle. The runner is on the bag but when the ball is caught, takes a lead off 3B and stops as if faking a tag. The pitcher is oblivious to the runner and just stands in the circle. The runner who stops just stands in crouched position for a second and then returns to 3B.

Should the runner be called out based on look back rule? Does pitcher have to look at runner to initiate the LBR? Umpires did not call anything and the coach of the defense didn't say anything. Some parents were wondering if this wasn't a LBR case.

Jun 22, 2008
The circle means nothing when the pitcher is the player fielding a batted ball. The lookback rule does not go into effect immediately. There is no specific time frame until it does, but the runner should not be called out if they left the base right after the catch.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Oct 24, 2010
Comp is correct. It's a judgment call as to when F1 is acting as a fielder or as a pitcher with possession and control of the ball in the circle. Give the runner time to recognize this. F1 does not need to look at the runner to initiate the look-back rule.

Jun 11, 2013
I wish they would just rewrite the look back rule. It's not supposed to be cheap out for the defense but rather a way to end the play so you don't see all the stuff you see in little league baseball.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I wish they would just rewrite the look back rule. It's not supposed to be cheap out for the defense but rather a way to end the play so you don't see all the stuff you see in little league baseball.

How would you rewrite it? I've rarely seen it called in some 14 years watching this game. In the few times I've seen umpires call it, it was pretty blatant.

Jun 11, 2013
How would you rewrite it? I've rarely seen it called in some 14 years watching this game. In the few times I've seen umpires call it, it was pretty blatant.
Just in my experience 90 percent of the time it was either called wrong or it was the result of a runner being confused. I can't remember one time where runners were just trying to bait a throw and "hesitated". To me it should be called when a runner is intentionally just not getting back to a base after the play is over. At younger ages I see so many umps just look for any excuse to call it.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Just in my experience 90 percent of the time it was either called wrong or it was the result of a runner being confused. I can't remember one time where runners were just trying to bait a throw and "hesitated". To me it should be called when a runner is intentionally just not getting back to a base after the play is over. At younger ages I see so many umps just look for any excuse to call it.

First time I ever saw it called was 12U. In 12U and younger, I saw far more bush league coaches trying to bait throws than umpires ringing up confused runners. Past 12U, I don't see much room for excuse. In I don't know how many games...into the hundreds...I'm not sure I've seen it called a dozen times.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478